Beetroot

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Beetroot

Post by fabindia »

I just love beetroot!

I seem to be able to grow it well and produce enough to pickle loads to last me through to the end of each year. However, compared with my mom and dad, I am a pretty poor gardener, but for some reason, they cannot grow beetroot. Not sure why, is it something to do with soil, I wonder?
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Beetroot

Post by Richard »

Hi fabs

I've never had a problem growing beetroot, it's grown like weeds for the past ten or so years, but this year....terrible.

I'm on my third sowing and even now only about a quarter are coming up.

My soil is pretty awful and I forgot to put some fish blood and bone down before sowing, could be the problem.
I always sow in soil mixed up with some multi purpose compost, but to be honest I'm not much good at more the types of soil and techy wise.

I'm sure someone will come up with a plan.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We love beetroot too and always seem to have great success growing them. Out soil is very light and free draining - don't know if that's the reason it grows so well. I pickle some and also cut into chunks and freeze, it still tastes great if you roast it. Had the odd panic though when going to the loo the next day {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm not a fan of pickled food and the staining qualities of red beetroot put me off LOL However, I do love golden beetroot - almost a good alternate to potatoes, sweet and tasty (I might just sow some as it is not too late - thank you for the reminder )t' ).

My experience of beetroot is that they need very fertile soil, warmth, sunshine and water so digging in lots of compost/well rotted manure will vastly improve growth. Soil also needs to be free draining - they don't like their roots sitting in saturated soil. About a week or two before sowing or planting out, rake in some general purpose fertilizer (like Growmore or Fish, Blood & Bone) For established plants that are not doing so well, water in a high nitrogen fertilizer such as ammonium sulphate or liquid feed to give them an almost instant boost - beetroot are best if grown quickly so are more tender than one sat in the veg garden for months.

Seeds can be sown indoors in containers to encourage quicker germination (I'm going to try "chitting" the seeds to see if that makes any difference) - if outside temperatures are warm, then let them grow on outdoors (so no need to waste time hardening off) and plant out when big enough to handle. Avoid disturbing the roots, and water in. Keep well watered during hot dry weather to prevent the beets from going to seed and harvest when about the size of a tennis ball.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I grow mine in containers and then plant out like LL says, and it's always grown really well. My soil gets fertilized by the chickens so I've never added extra, might do that in the autumn. I've never had golden beetroot so I'll look out for those at the end of season seed sale. I love making borscht with mine, and it is excellent roasted too. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

lancashire lass wrote: they need very fertile soil, warmth, sunshine and water so digging in lots of compost/well rotted manure will vastly improve growth. Soil also needs to be free draining - they don't like their roots sitting in saturated soil.

My soil is pretty good I think. I compost all our vegetable waste, chicken poop, etc, and add that to the garden in the autumn. My dad's soil is rather sandy and stony, whereas mine is very rich dark soil. One thing I can't grow is carrots, but perhaps is another issue.
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting.

I never pickle, in summer just cook them and eat them cold on Salads and it winter have them roasted with Chicken.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome