Men who knit?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Men who knit?

Post by fabindia »

I can't help Helen I am afraid but her post made me ask if there are men here who knit.

I knitted cardigans for each of my kids when they were born, so with our first grandchild arriving a few weeks ago, with the help of Mrs Fab, I knitted little Rose a sleeping bag.
Michael
p.penn

Re: Men who knit?

Post by p.penn »

A couple of my male friends were taught to knit as children, but they never knitted as adults.

A wool shop in a nearby(ish) village is run by two guys who crochet. They hold knit and natter groups too.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

It was my mom who taught me to knit when I was a kid. I remember that it was when Blue Peter was asking kids to knit simple squares that were to be made up into blankets for some appeal one year. I guess it is a bit like riding a bike really.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I don't know of a man who knits, although my late f-in-law did beautiful cross stitching, taught when he was for a long time in a sanatorium.

It is a shame that lots of men consider this a woman thing, especially when women are now getting into the more masculine considered crafts, like woodworking. Great that your mum taught you and something to be proud to say you can do.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't know many women who knit, now-a-days. Though every-one used to. I remember using the time on the Tube going to school to knit stripey babies vests to send to the missionaries. That was my limit. Someone in our class used to knit under her desk, without looking or moving her arms. But modern tops are so easy-care that I don't wear many of the jumpers by MIL and sister knitted for me.

My grandad embroidered, he too learnt in hospital as occupational therapy. He'd buy linen tablecloths with patterns transferred on and a colour chart. I have one that he made for my 21st. That was another thing I did, but my attempts were chain stitch and lazy daisy, his were satin stitch. All the Aunties were made a tray cloth or something equally useless for Christmas.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My dad used to knit, he made a tea cosy that we used all the time when I was a kid, those 2 colour wobbly ones - they are very retro and it would be in fashion again now!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Just reading a fascinating book about life in the countryside in the 19th century. Apparently shepherds used to knit while standing on stilts, and watching over their flock. Honestly, I'm not making it up.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Didn't sailors knit. Not a lot to do onboard when off duty.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

Men who knit :) lol. I suppose you'll be telling us next there are men who do the laundry or hoover. I'll go and ask the wife if she knows of any. Hang on a sec. I'll pop into the kitchen. Her chain doesn't reach as far as the computer room.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} So I take it you don't knit then Dave {rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

p.penn wrote:{rofwl} So I take it you don't knit then Dave {rofwl} {rofwl}

{rofwl} {rofwl}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Hanging on the lounge wall is a 2 x1.5 foot hanging sewn silk picture of 2 japanese person /m-f , with tree and chickens which I sewed at least 30 plus years ago . Prof is it has my DNA on it (blood) when I stuck the needle in my finger . I used to knit -still have a 6 foot scarf .Like bike riding never forget (bit wobbly when started again ) nit one peral one , pick up stickes , drop stiches , etc .
I also done my bit of darning (sewing holes in socks ...
Do not do hoovering... Used to do the ironing as dead wife hated it ....
maybe this has put me in a calm place and easily destressed .
Modern times it is easy to buy from third world than to spend ages doing nitting .
A skill and a hobby that comes and goes with fashion but a good knitted ,hand made jumper is a treasure to have and wear especially in the cold months .
Experience I do not recomend is knitted swim wear . terrible what my mother put me in when younger than 5 years old ....
Bob