Swimming

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Swimming

Post by fabindia »

All my kids have been like fish from a very early age. We put them in the big bath filled with water almost from birth and then progressed on to the swimming pool from a couple of months old, so that they could swim before they could walk. Two of my kids are now diving instructors.

Anyway, Mrs Fab and I are now in our sixties. Mrs Fab swims 3 or 4 times a week. I still run 4 or 5 times a week but I try to go swimming with Mrs Fab once a week.

Despite my being a rather fanatical runner, I think that you can't beat swimming for the best all round exercise. Swimming is not stressful on the bones, it demands great breathing skills and co-ordination. Certainly, if I had the opportunity I would chose to swim every day. It is probably the best form of exercise for people of all ages.
Michael
JohnnyGrumpus
Lively Laner

Re: Swimming

Post by JohnnyGrumpus »

Agree totally, it's a wonderful form of exercise. For those of us who are carrying a few extra pounds there not much stress on the joints compared to running.
I learnt to swim from a very early age and completed all my proficiency awards and I even worked as a lifeguard for a while.

Barry
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

JohnnyGrumpus wrote:I learnt to swim from a very early age and completed all my proficiency awards - Barry

Me too. The strange thing looking back, was in my area if you completed the proficiency awards, you got a year's free pass for the swimming pool. Great at the time, but looking back it seems to me that the ones who really need the free pass were the less able swimmers :-D
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Such a shame that swimming is not part of the school curriculum any more. Even as far back as my junior school, all classes had their swimming day and we got certificates for different lengths of the pool. Each year was the inter schools swimming and diving competitions which were attended with excitement. The pool was cheap enough to use and us kids spent most days of the holidays in there. I did swim with my children when they were young and took their children, but I don't think any of the family swim in a pool now.

Our local swimming pool is a super private one which is so expensive to use. Some days only one lane can be used by the ordinary public and the others are booked for toddlers etc. We personally can't afford to use it and don't want to have to book in advance but do what we used to do and go on the spur of the moment when we feel like it.

Such a shame that it is now beyond some peoples reach to swim as they used to and it is such a wonderful exercise. Nice to hear that some families are still enjoying it.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

albertajune wrote:Our local swimming pool is a super private one which is so expensive to use.

Mrs Fab and I have senior membership cards, which costs us £10.00 each for a year. Then each swim costs just £2.00. Mrs Fab goes 3 times a week and I usually manage to get there once a week. So over the year, it doesn't work so bad.

What I love about swimming is the rhythm of the strokes and the breathing. Something you have to concentrate on with swimming, unlike running when you can gasp anytime you like - lol.

Given the benefits of swimming, it really should be available on the National Health :-D
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

fabindia wrote:
albertajune wrote:Our local swimming pool is a super private one which is so expensive to use.

Given the benefits of swimming, it really should be available on the National Health :-D

How I agree with you Michael. Both OH and self are told by doctors that swimming would be good for us as we have both had joint replacements and have limited mobility. OH now just turned 80 and self late 70's, so we really do have to watch the pennies and it would have to one or the other of us could go and then only once a week. We will have to carry on pottering on the allotment and garden which gives us our exercise.

Nice to hear of someone enjoying swimming so much. I hope that you and your lady enjoy it for many more years. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I agree that swimming is a great way to exercise, but it's not for me. I was put off it at an early age, forced to go to a freezing ancient swimming baths with the school. The teacher seemed to delight in watching us struggle and gasp as we thrashed about, which gave me a phobia about water so I never learnt to swim. My sister however loves it and swims three times a week, but we must have different genes. She is five years younger than me and is not as fit as me, with a bad back and aching joints. I'll stick to dry land thank you. :-D
Ilona
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I have swum on and off for years but it always seems to exacerbate my bad back. When I was diagnosed with fibro, the consultant suggested swimming but knowing how it made me ache I have avoided it! This thread has made me think about it again and next week I will be giving it another try. This time I need to a) not give up if it hurts and b) know that in the long run it will probably help - I may not see results straight away! >fi<
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell