Bills 2015 garden veggy diaries

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Re: Bills 2015 garden veggy diaries

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Bill, after a heavy week at work, really enjoyed reading your gardening notes and tips. You really do help us novices so sincere thanks from me ... My toms are minute compared to yours though! Clucky xx
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Clucky Carol wrote:Hi Bill, after a heavy week at work, really enjoyed reading your gardening notes and tips. You really do help us novices so sincere thanks from me ... My toms are minute compared to yours though! Clucky xx

Good morning Carol

Thank you for that ,it is nice to be able to pass on a few tips now and again .Are your Tomatoes indoors or outside ? if outside its the cooler nights holding them back ,if in the greenhouse they will soon with warmer weather on the way catch up .I always use a good Tomato grow bag compost in my pots as apposed to a general compost ,seems to help but i am sure they will give you lots of fruit this year.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Bill,
Mine are indoors but no heating so still relatively cool, but protected. Off to get some bags tomorrow, so watch this space! Things are certainly starting to grow nicely and my favourite ... Rhubarb - quite a few on the one crown, want to get more in next year. Thanks again for the inspiration and have a good, productive week. Clucky xx
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Sunday 24th May 2015

Really warm and muggy this morning with heavy rain forecast for after dinner.Well planting all done time now to sit back and watch it all grow (i wish) ,with watering and feeding and weeding still plenty to do to keep me busy. )t'
Runner beans in and growing ,i put a bit of fleece around them to keep the chilly wind off until they get away.
6 rows of carrots 3 of red beet and 3 of parsnips ,all seem to be growing well .Image
Caulies and cabbage have been slow due to cold nights but moving better now.Image
Cucumbers don't look at there best at the moment will give them a feed once rain has been and gone.Image
Strawberries looking ok ,quite a few flowers so hopefully beet the slugs to them this year.Image
Potatoes well on there way ,can't wait to try them Casablanca .Image
The potatoes in the polly tunnel are further ahead just coming into flower so should be some new spuds soon ,same type as outside CasablancaImage
Sweetcorn all out 10 rows 6 in each row ,will lift net off once growing well just keeps birds off the tender leaves.Image
After being in and out of the greenhouse with the changeable weather Courgettes, finally going to leave out to fend for themselves ,will feed and water well as hungry plants.Image
ImageImage
Tomatos of both variety seem to be doing ok ,most have the first small fruits on so feeding once a week ,will start twice a week once second trusses set fruit.

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

gosh Bill, you are so far ahead of me - and looking good too )t' I haven't even sowed the courgette, cucumber or winter squashes yet :oops:
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Barbara i don't think you have missed much as far as Courgettes and Cucumbers are concerned ,with the cold nights they have hardly moved since i put them out over 2 weeks ago ,i haven't tried it but i reckon both seeds would chit as Sweetcorn do in the warm ,would put them forward at least a week if not more .Although the east coast is noted for its cold winds i am lucky that the garden faces south and is very sheltered ,it helps but dries out quickly when it gets hot.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thursday 11th June 2015

Well after a successful morning shopping ,spending money {cry} ,time to catch up on my diary.
With the cold nights and not a lot better days things are slow in the garden to say the least .Image
Did find four strawberries ripe so shared with Wendy ,as you do.
Tomatos all got fruit on now so feeding twice a week ,happy with the way the plants are looking after there extra sea weed feed in the compost.Image
Runner beans despite the cold they are showing growth and some halfway up there strings ,
i will admit to feeding once a week just to keep them healthy and not suffering from the cold nights ,they have a trench of well rotted manure under both rows but not beneficial until well rooted and getting nourishment from it ,flowers are forming so looking forward to a few beans soon.
ImageImage
Potatoes outside and in tunnel doing ok ,tunnel ones well into flower and very tall .Image
Sweetcorn has been slow moving ,i have had a net on it helps to keep cold winds off but getting to big now ,seems to be moving ok .Image
Seems like the cold nights are playing havoc everywhere we had a frost at the weekend in Norfolk away from the coast ,got to 6 degrees hear so not to affected .Hot day forecast tomorrow ending in storms ,at least everything will get rained on . )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Monday 22nd June 2015

Had a root around the potatoes in polly tunnel today found a few earlies to join our home grown salad for tea tonight Image

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Saturday 4th July 2015

Phew ,after a few sweltering days we had a violent storm last night ,never known a night like it , several inches of rain fell that the garden was grateful for ,no amount of tap water does the same job as a good downpour ,apart from flattening me onions no other damage.
Leeks seem a little slow this year ,but with the weather so changeable who can blame them.Image
Sweetcorn going ahead ok ,with the first sight of flowers .ImageImage
First lot of runner beans nearly ready ,should get a few midweek.Image
Cabbages are well ahead of the butterflies this year as are the Caulies but if this hot weather persists they won't come to much.ImageImage
Tomatoes have been growing nicely and are now starting to ripen ,i damp down the floor on hot days .and give the plants a mist spray to cool them down ,water twice a day when its hot asa can soon dry out under glass.Image
Courgettes are in abundance and are another plant if in tubs needs watering twice a day ,and moving into some shade won't hurt them either.Image
Red beet are swelling by the day and will soon be pickling some ,had some with a salad was luverly.Image
Watch out for your plants and veggies in this very hot weather as most don't like it and will soon start to droop in not kept moist . )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 7th July 2015

Few bits from the garden for tea .Image
Really pleased with the cabbages this year ,nice and firm and a good flavour ,don't think i will have the same luck with the caulis.Image

And Strawberries and fussels milk for afters ,just about the last of them now ,the white snowberries are very nice but don't get over big .

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

While thinning my Carrots yesterday ,found Adam and Eve ,thought Adam looked a lot like me ,until i looked in a full length mirror ,realised then i looked more like Eve yike* :oops:ImageImage

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

{rofwl} brilliant carrots Bill - possible future photo competition winners there! )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

jemberelli wrote:{rofwl} brilliant carrots Bill - possible future photo competition winners there! )t'

Or one of them naughty {warn} movies Jem, with Jasper Carrot as the leading man ,and maybe one of them Swedish >veg3< actresses as the leading lady )c(

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

{rofwl} )like(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Saturday 1st August 2015

Nice pleasant not to hot a day ,ideal for a few hours out in the garden ,thinned a few more of the leaves off the tomato plants to give a bit more light and air to the fruit,picking tomatoes daily now.
Pulled all of the onions today with it being dry ,laid them out in the polly tunnel to dry before i hang them in the shed.
Beans and Courgetts are taking over the footpath
ImageSweetcorn looking ok ,cobs have there tassel need some good sun now to swell them out .ImageImage
Quite tall as well now.
Plums starting to ripen ,mmm can taste them now )eat( Image
Plenty of tops on parsnips ,havent checked bottoms yet but hopefully will be ok.
Beans and courgetts taking over the footpathImage