what is this please

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
crustyruss53
Learner Laner

what is this please

Post by crustyruss53 »

Planted my runner beans and this creature appeared with them.
Four foot tall,thick stem with large green leaves and large yellow flowers starting to grow on it.
Any ideas please )t' [url][/url]Image
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: what is this please

Post by Mo »

A sunflower ?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I would definitely go along with the sunflower suggestion )t' Such a pretty flower too. Lucky it was only a 4 footer ... could have been 10-16 feet LOL
crustyruss53
Learner Laner

Post by crustyruss53 »

Don't think so Mo,unless it's a dwarf one :?
It's got til weekend at the moment then it's getting dug up )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

crustyruss53 wrote:Don't think so Mo,unless it's a dwarf one

sunflowers come in all sizes - dwarf ones barely 12 inches up to as mentioned 16 feet
crustyruss53
Learner Laner

Post by crustyruss53 »

lancashire lass wrote:I would definitely go along with the sunflower suggestion )t' Such a pretty flower too. Lucky it was only a 4 footer ... could have been 10-16 feet LOL

Checked out the sunflower idea,seemed to fit in with the Autumn Beauty Sunflower,however Sunflowers seem to have dark centres on the flowers and mine are green.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

There are loads of different sunflowers that have petals which come in a range of colours, from varied yellows, white, cream, orange, red, dark red / maroon to almost brown as I found out last year when compiling a list of available seeds from various suppliers. Like-wise, some heads have yellow centres while others have a progressively darker almost black centres. I think it would be impossible to identify unless you knew the seed's origin.

A green centre might just be indicative of immature flowers (a sunflower is a composite flower, meaning that although it has a single flower head with a ring of petals, the centre consists of multiple tiny "flowers" that produces pollen and nectar, and each little flower is pollinated to form a single seed) The little flowers on the head don't mature all at once - I can't remember which way it moves whether from the centre out, or from the outer rim first and then into the centre. Bees love the sunflowers and will gorge on the pollen and nectar
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Looks like a sunflower to me too.

I have planted a whole row of them this year. But here in the cold North East, they are nowhere near flowering. When they do though it will give the bees a treat :-D
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can't remember if we planted them one year, but we certainly had sunflowers of all shapes and sizes popping up for several years.

The named varieties might be hybrids that don't 'breed true' so the next generation will be very variable.

The birds (including hens) like pecking at the seeds in the head.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire