A Thing For A Purpose

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

A Thing For A Purpose

Post by Totally Scrambled »

The other day Ali was looking at small chalk boards on t'internet as she wanted one in the kitchen to jot things we'd run out of so they wouldn't get forgotten come shopping day.
She couldn't find one that would fit where she wanted it to go but was determined that she would eventually find just the right one.
That got me thinking and I secretly hunted around and found an old roof slate in the garden and some off cuts of batten in my workshop.
I measured the space Ali wanted it to go and did a bespoke piece for her.
With quite a bit of sanding, well a hell of a lot, I smoothed one face and then set about making the frame and then assembling it. I decided it would look better if I distressed it and finished it with antique pine wax polish so that it fitted in with the decor.
It took a few hours work over 3 or 4 days and it was driving Ali mad as I wouldn't tell her what I was doing. :-D
It was a darn sight cheaper than the ones she was looking at as it cost me the princely sum of bu**er all to make.
Thankfully she is well pleased with the result )t'

Dom
Ali Woks My World
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: A Thing For A Purpose

Post by albertajune »

)like( It was well worth all the work that you put into it. I love the finish and the size. Perfect!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Perfect! Lucky her to have such a 'handy' hubby! Wish my hubby could make me one - I know just how hard it is to find one that is just right!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

jemberelli wrote:Perfect! Lucky her to have such a 'handy' hubby! Wish my hubby could make me one - I know just how hard it is to find one that is just right!

Are you talking slate boards or hubbies ????? )grin2(
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oooh, it's absolutely lovely Dom, I am very impressed!! )b(

I love my chalk board, and get left little messages on it sometimes! I have a hanging slate heart which I put outside with a greeting on when friends are coming too. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It looks magnificent, Dom. OH made me a chalk board, from plywood and black paint. Downside is that it regularly needs a new coat of paint!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Totally Scrambled wrote:
jemberelli wrote:Perfect! Lucky her to have such a 'handy' hubby! Wish my hubby could make me one - I know just how hard it is to find one that is just right!

Are you talking slate boards or hubbies ????? )grin2(
Dom

I couldn't possibly comment! {rofwl}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
manda

Post by manda »

)like( ...that is fabulous Dom )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Fantastic. Looks really good. )t'
Ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)like( that looks really professional. Have you any more slate tiles hanging about the garden ... you could start taking Christmas orders LOL
DebLondon
Learner Laner

Post by DebLondon »

That's fabulous. The antique pine wax polish finish looks really beautiful. )like(