Homemade Pasta

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Homemade Pasta

Post by HedgeHugger »

Fancied giving homemade pasta a go. It looked so simple (in reality it is too :) ).
I thought the first attempt would be Ravioli. I watched many YouTube videos and geared myself up to hand make some.
I made a Fettuccine type effort, big, wide ribbons instead :) .
I learned that 100g of flour makes enough for the 2 of us rather than the 200g just about every recipe suggested.

I hand rolled the pasta dough. Cut them with a scissors, then change to a knife. Could have done with a big ruler to make the lines straight.
Improvised with a piece of clothes line and cupboard handles to hang the pasta up.

Being fresh it cooked very quickly, it did grow though, so I ended up with pasta ribbons about 2ft long hehe

I've looked at various pasta makers. I screamed a little at the pasta extruder attachment for the KMix, £100 and then £25ish a pasta die! No way unless I win the lottery.

I would like to make shaped paste, like macaroni. I saw one video where the guy cut little squares and then wrapped them around a small dowelling type rod. That looks like too much effort for me, handwrapping little squares.
I've splashed out (a whole tenner :) ) on a noodle maker from Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vktech-Stainles ... odle+maker

Anybody used one? reviews are mixed. If it breaks it can go back.
manda

Re: Homemade Pasta

Post by manda »

Good on you HH...l love fresh pasta ...have an Atlas pasta maker which is fabulous so can make Lasagne, spaghetti, Angel hair and its got Canneloni and Ravioli attachments ...but in truth if I make things like Ravioli I use cookie cutters and stick the two circles together I find it's quicker and you get bigger ravioli that way )grin2(

If you want to make ribbons...a quick way of doing it is to let the pasta sheet dry out just a little..sprinkle it with flour to stop it sticking and then roll it up like a swiss roll...then you can cut along the length and then fluff the rolls up so you have your ribbons...you can get thinner lengths then if you want but it's just one cut of the knife rather than trying to get a straight cut by running it along (does that make sense??).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

This is a great video showing you how to make shapes by hand...I love Gennaro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1teUhznIYeU
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Excellent video, TY :) )t'

I did try rolling the pasta and cutting it, what I didn't so, which is so obvious, is flour as I rolled. It did work, my way after a fashion, but the sides did crimp together a little.

Also a pastry cutter! how simple :) I ordered a large stainless steel ruler so I can do straight lines, will now get a pastry cutter too, can use the pizza cutter in the meantime :)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had a pasta machine that I never used, so gave it to charitiy. I missed it so much I bought another one in a different charity shop, but never used it and gave it away last year to a friend's daughter, who is absolutely loving it!

Seeing your enthusiasm hedgehugger, I almost wish I had another one {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Helen {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

I was pleasantly surprise at how easy pasta was too and now make dough to keep in the freezer when eggs pile up. I use a simple pasta machine but don't bother hanging the pasta to dry, just fluff it up with a bit of flour while the water boils.

It's amazing how much ravioli you can make with a slice of smoked salmon, some ricotta and a little chopped spinach! Yummy. Even more if you make totellini!
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I don't even put my pasta maker away. It is permanently fastened to a counter top in the utility room and covered with a pretty teatowel. Our son bought me the machine a couple of years ago and told me he was worried that I would never use it. Silly boy.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.