Chutney (Update)

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Chutney (Update)

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I let a few courgettes turn into marrows in our veg plot and today turned them into marrow chutney )eat(
I just have to wait a week until I can start eating it )gr:
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Chutney

Post by Spreckly »

Gosh Dom, your courgettes are way ahead of ours! We still have flowers on them in the colder northern climate. Normally it is September when we start to make chutney, and we are now on our last jar of 2013 preserve! We use courgettes, apples and tomatoes in the mix. Hope you enjoy yours.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

This might be the only way that I would enjoy courgettes. I find that I cannot "get on" with them, or aubergines. Never mind, there's plenty of other stuff that I do like.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

bmpsands wrote:This might be the only way that I would enjoy courgettes. I find that I cannot "get on" with them, or aubergines. Never mind, there's plenty of other stuff that I do like.

A good tasty recipe for courgettes is four courgettes halved, seeds scooped out. Then mix up in a bowl 125g Ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, herbs, one red chilli deseeded and finely chopped, some grated cheddar or any flavourful cheese, a tablespoon of lemon juice and spoon into the courgette halves, then top with breadcrumbs.
Put them on a baking tray and slap in the oven on gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.
Very yummy )eat(
Dom
PS Marrow chutney is a bit spicy and is known as poor man's mango chutney.
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I adore courgettes and eat them at least twice every week. Not had them in chutney though, but it sounds good )like(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Chutney (Update)

I have a confession to make.
After posting about my chutney making exploits I was cleaning up when I noticed that I had neglected to add the demerara sugar to the mix. :oops:
As a result I had to empty all the chutney back into the pan, heat and then add the sugar and stir it in before putting it back in the jars.
If I hadn't of noticed the chutney would have been a real taste sensation.
I will of course let you know if it tastes OK or makes my eyes cross when I open the first jar next week )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh no! I have forgotten to put sugar into apple crumble before now }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I never put sugar into the apple unless it's an August windfall - later they are sweet enough. But if it was the crumble crumb you left it out of the I would miss it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

bmpsands wrote:This might be the only way that I would enjoy courgettes. I find that I cannot "get on" with them, or aubergines. Never mind, there's plenty of other stuff that I do like.

Or you could try them as Courgette Butter or use them in Christmas Mince...I've done both...the Courgette butter I really enjoyed nice just on toast or with cheese.The Christmas mince I tested on others and they had no idea it was courgettes.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I do think I need to revisit my attitude to courgettes. The stuffed version sounds good; my friend always has a glut and offers me some.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Opened the first jar today and it tasted really good so the delay in adding the sugar didn't seem to affect the taste although the extra heating to disolve the sugar has made it less chunky and a bit more puree like in texture.
Dom
Ali Woks My World