Raspberries Sorted

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Raspberries Sorted

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Just finished pruning all the fruited canes from the raspberry bed and clearing the weeds and rubbish from under the canes.
There is a nice flush of new shoots for next year which I will need to start tying in but first I will have to sort out the wires.
The posts have become a bit loose in the ground which has made the wires slack so I will have to sort them out and re-tension the wires.
Thought I'd put a batten across the top of the posts to force them apart and tamp the soil down around their bases.
We got about 3Kg of fruit this year but that's only an approximation as our eldest eats most of them as she picks them and not many make it back to the house :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Raspberries Sorted

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} at least you know your eldest is eating fresh fruit LOL

I've never grown raspberries at the allotment because of the dreaded horsetail which is rife on the plot at the moment. Alas, I had to remove the plants at home to make way for another project so I've been without raspberries for a couple of years now {cry} so I am seriously thinking about getting some bare rooted canes this autumn - I might just have the place to put them on the plot which is reasonably weed-free )t'
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, I have got some golden ? raspberries cuttings from my neighbour . I have had them in a vase/water since lastwed (week ) . I think I can see some roots growing at the bottom sides. Question is how long before I plant them out . Have to put wire round them to keep the chickens off for a while and let the roots get hold ( They are tasty for sure.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I must tie mine up. Thanks for reminder. Sorry don't know the answer to your question
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

I've never taken cuttings from raspberries only cut off suckers that have grown away from the main plants while they are dormant and replanted them where I want them to grow.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have a couple of pot grown raspberry bushes, which are still fruiting. I was going to move them to a small tin bath instead of putting in the garden. What do you think?

If I put them in the garden, I too have masses of horsetail Would that be a particular problem then LL? :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

A tin bath is just a big pot so as long as it can drai so they don't get waterlogged they should be fine )t'
I'd wait until they have finished fruiting, cut back the fruited stems and then replant.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi,Neighbour not giving the rooty bits but grabed some cuttings on the pretence of feeding to chickens .
Would be a coop if I could grow them as they are well worth it.
thanks
Bob