Blackberry Jam

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Blackberry Jam

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Our eldest has a couple of days off work and got bored so yesterday went out into the orchards at the back of us and picked a load of blackberries. When she got back she started cooking them up. I asked her what she was up to and she told me she was making jam. I asked her if she had everything she needed and she told me she had found all the ingredients she needed in the cupboards.
I pointed out she had forgotten something as we didn't have any and was told, indignantly, that she had double checked and had everything. I asked what she was going to put the jam in and was told she would put them in jam jars and was miffed when I told her we didn't have any :-D
As it was late Sunday afternoon nowhere was open to get any so she bagged the cooked blackberries up and popped them in the freezer.
I looked online and the cheapest I could find were 10 for £8 but then I looked at a well known supermarket and saw I could get 10 jars of lemon curd at 22p a jar. So this morning I cleared their shleves, brought them home, emptied them out and washed them up. A waste of lemon curd I know but I don't like it and it was the frugalist way to get the jars I needed.
Between the pair of us we knocked up eight jars of blackberry jam and filled them up. )eat(
Dom
Ali Woks My World
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Blackberry Jam

Post by jemberelli »

Not just a pretty face Dom! Good thinking and I bet the jam tastes amazing )c+ )pg(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Should have asked on here. I can't be the only one who has more jam / coffee jars than I'm likely to use.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I buy the asda value mint sauce for about 25p a jar. It's really thin and goes down the drain easily, and the jars are perfect size as not too big or small.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Next time I see you I will give you jam jars {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Never thought of that, buying cheap things in jars. I used to have loads of jars but somewhere along the line they got thrown out. Hubby bought special jars for his honey and I have been using the ones he didn`t. We have a lovely bramble bush at front of garden and I am picking some every day and freezing them for jam etc.