have the Swedish got it right?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
kitla
Legendary Laner

have the Swedish got it right?

Post by kitla »

As we're planning to get a new puppy in a few weeks I've been doing lot of
reading up. I was interested in the Swedish laws on dog breeding - only certified
breeders are allowed to breed atall (big fines otherwise) and they are responsible
for the health of the puppies for 3 years! 95% of dogs there are not neutered (you
have to get permission to do that) but because of their strict dog ownership control
laws they have very few in rescues.
I wonder if it works as well as it sounds?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: have the Swedish got it right?

Post by Spreckly »

Interesting post, kitla. What sort of puppy are you hoping to get?
wendy

Post by wendy »

It sounds like Utopia and lovely if we went down the same road.
BUT and there is always one !
How can it be Policed ? A lot of the back yard breeders, that let their unregistered and unhealthy pups go for 50.00. The parents never go to a vet. No more than the puppies would. Who knows about these litters, who are in authority ?
Same as this all dog must be chipped by April next year. How is that going to work.
Those of us who are responsible owners anyway, will do it all. Those who couldn't give a dam, won't. Sadly
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I thought the puppy mills werent actually breaking the law in what they are doing,
unless they get reported for cruelty. Do they have to be licenced? If they did, the
cost of the licence should cover an annual inspection. Some of the puppies I saw for
sale did upset me, - multiple adverts for different designer breeds with the same
background in the photos of sad pups, a video of some pups just sitting there scared
to move rather than playing - & of course no parents. I would happily report these
ads if I thought what they were doing was illegal. We looked for a "mutt" at the
rescues first, but there doesnt seem to be so many pups left at rescues atm,
plenty of mixed breeds advertised online though, given a made up name and a large
price tag .
But enough of the grumbles, we've decided to get a Golden Retriever pup, from an approved breeder, with all the checks done. The pups are due...well actually they're
overdue & we're bursting with excitement waiting to hear. This is to be my son's
own puppy. (he's nearly 17)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Ooh how exciting! Can't wait to see some pics )like(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell