Just The Job For A Wet Sunday Afternoon

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Just The Job For A Wet Sunday Afternoon

Post by Totally Scrambled »

The weather was beautiful here on Sunday up until lunchtime and then it chucked it down. I did manage to cut all the grass in the morning while it was still dry but was feeling at a bit of a loose end after lunch as it was too wet to do anything in the garden so I decided to turn a couple of pounds of our garden raspberries into jam.
I cooked up the first pound so that I could force them through a sieve to get the pips out and was just about to bung the deseeded raspberries back in the pan before adding the second pound when I had a request to make completely seedless jam.
I then cooked and deseeded the second pound, added it to the first lot I did and managed to complete the project with no further hinderance to my efforts :-D
We now have three 1lb jars of raspberry jam to go the eight jars of blackberry and four jars of cherry jam, all from fruit from our garden )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Just The Job For A Wet Sunday Afternoon

Post by mrs boodles »

Raspberry jam my favourite.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Have you ever tried the no cook raspberry jam? It is slightly softer than normal jam, but
it's flavour is absolutely superb! It's also easy to make and keeps for up to 2 months.

You put equal quantities of raspberries and sugar (I used 1kg each) into 2 separate bowls into an oven at 180 degrees for approx. 20 mins until hot. If you increase amounts of fruit & sugar, heat for 30 mins. Add sugar to berries and beat together until sugar has dissolved.

Put into hot sterilised jars as you normally would for jam making, except brush a little brandy on the waxed side of each jam cover, then seal in usual way.

This came from an old S/bury recipe book Preserves and Pickles, by Heather Lambert.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

That sounds yummy, Helen, and I'm feeling the urge to go and try it.

I usually make wild jams and I always try to go for as little sugar as possible and as little boiling, adding apple juice to help set it. Marginally more healthy, but probably one of those * in the wind moments!