Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by KarenE »

It's called heras fencing Sandy and you can get them on ebay. We looked at it when we were building the super run but hubby decided he wanted wood instead. You might be able to pick some up from local scrapyards butt hey you'd have to get it back home again.

Does frontline keep the red mite at bay as well?

Hillier - what an awful story! At least you've got it sorted now. I spray mine with smite as a precautionary thing. Just an observation - are you going to put more paving round the sides of the fencing? Just thinking that a fox or rat could decide to dig under.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thanks for info on fencing, frontline keeps the mites off of the hens I have found, yes. Hope you get your sorted soon Hilly
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Problems

Post by HilierWard »

thanks for the info - I was using Smite, but apparently it only kills the adult mites organically. I was also using Nettex Total Mite Killer - but apparently, again, this only kills the adults - not the eggs or larvae. Have now bought chemicals to put onto the skin and a different solution for the coops.

What isn't visible on the fencing is a skirt up 2 ft and onto the ground under the slabs a meter.

Emergency vet on Tuesday night - CopCop had a prolapse! Out of hours vet bill £67!

And finally, for the week from hell - Marilyn (ex batt) has gone broody! }hairout{
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Oh God - it gets worse!

CopCop was pts on Monday night.

She moulted early in summer, so hasn't had many feathers around since. She was eating, having treats, laying (or so I believed). Over the weekend, she took to standing around on her own, but did have the sardines with the others. Just felt she wasn't "right" but didn't know what or why. The vet said she was emaciated (she was always very tiny), running a temperature and probably had peritonitis - and had probably had it when I took her to the vet the last time - but it wasn't detected.

All in all, she went downhill so fast! and I didn't see anything wrong with her until this weekend {cry} and then it was too late!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi,More sad news . My worse nightmares .
Best wishes and thoughts go out to you.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about CopCop Hillier. Prolapsed can be dangerous, and maybe it and the internal laying were related. But they are very good at hiding illnesses, so we just do the best we can when we notice. {hug}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

This was after a double hit at the vets on Friday!

In the morning, Salem (cat), still sneezing/watery eye after an operation the week before to remove most of his teeth (he was 15 in April) - turns out he has got infection - antibiotics injected and he is being watched closely.

In the afternoon - Dotty (Pycho Olive protégé) along the other ex-batts were darting around the garden - just "stopped" closed her eyes and tail went down. Had a good feel of her tummy, compared it with the others - then immediately, liquid ran out of her. Whilst I was arranging an appointment with the vet, she passed 2! softies - which were eaten almost before they hit the floor. Vet examined her and could feel nothing amiss. Carried on darting round the garden as soon as we got home!

After this and being so upset about CopCop - swear Im not having any more animals!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well you say that but you know you will! Good to hear Dotty is okay after her 2 softie experience. They can feel very unwell so it's good that she just had a dip when she was actually laying them. Perhaps add a bit of limestone flour or oyster shell to her feed as she may need a bit more calcium )t'
Karen
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

It breaks your heart when anything happens to them though!

There is grit and oyster shell on the floor and in their sand pits. I give them limestone flour mixed in sardines whenever there is any sign of softies. They all had this on Saturday - lo and behold yesterday lunchtime - Dotty had laid the BIGGEST egg ever.

that's the one at the back - the one directly in front is off our Bluebelle (Queenie)!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry to hear about Dotty {hug} Lets hope she is having is picking up tips from her protege in luscious green fields.
Big get well to Salem >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Friday evening - Salem sneezing, watering eye, snotty - spoke to vet and another operation booked for tomorrow. First operation £448.48 - tomorrow, if they do what they want to do with him, have advised about £1000.

Went down the garden to let the girls out. After the moshpit dishing grapes out - Dotty trotted off and I noticed her bum was mucky. Upon closer inspection, bit of a prolapse. Back to the vet, where they gave me 2 options - pts or have an operation to put a stitch in. Agreed option 2. Whilst I was signing the consent form, they told me that birds don't usually get through the anaesthetic! But I had to try.

Spent Friday night crying!

Saturday - vets rang - she was up and bright as a penny, eating - all fine! They said, if she started straining, then to call them. By Saturday lunchtime, (she had been straining all morning) - after trying to speak with the vets on numerous calls, she was going downhill fast, so got another appointment. Much crying as I thought I would be saying goodbye to her {cry}

They thought she was trying to pass an egg, so cut the stitch - poor Dotty was screaming. What she passed was a big, solid poo... {rofwl} - back home and trawling the garden as if nothing has happened! Vet bill £238.98. (That included for CopCop pts and cremation £86.00).

All in all a very traumatic weekend!
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry you have had such a bad weekend. Sending you some {hug} . It is never easy when the animals we love so much are ill.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, hens are unbelieveable. My cockerels do not have half their problems . as for crying done all of that. as for cursing done my share also, always happy for a good result though.
hope no more vet bills for a very long time.
Bob
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Not been on for a while due to tragedy and heartbreak.

So, have signed up for another 3 batties on FSFH next re-homing date 9 January. These girls are caged, so Im expecting not many feathers. They will be coming at the coldest point of the year - what should I do for them? I will have bought another Eglu by then, so they will be toastie at night, but during the day - what can I do so they are not cold?

thanks
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , do not threat , not all the girls are featherless. Also they are pretty hardy and give them straw nests and they will stay warm . Plenty of mealworms and healthy food to grow back feathers and get there strengh back to how it should be.
Well done and best of luck with them .
Bob