Chrissie's chooks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Chrissie's chooks

Post by Barkingharper »

Well, after a couple of days looking all timid and innocent - they were in the garden today having slipped under the fence. I thought I'd done a reasonable fencing job but as I couldn'd bury the fencing where it was, it is just touching the ground. I spent half an hour blocking it all off this morning with whatever I could find... in this incessant rain. Great fun.
Bless'em.

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Chrissie's chooks

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Henny Houdini {rofwl}
Dom
Ali Woks My World
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, the little madams. Never trust a hen that is trying to look innocent - there is no such thing! )de:

But looking on the positive side - they've shown you if they can get out, something can get in. Better to be safe than sorry - have another look when the rain dies off and see whether a fox or a rat could force it's way through your repair )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Little monkeys aren't they! Our worst one escaped on the first morning, she had forced a small gap in the pea netting we had put over the run. She flew over the potting shed and onto the garage roof, making such a racket. OH had to get the ladder out, and Lizzie flew right over my head (my worst fear, as I had one fly in my face when I was very small). We clipped one wing on each bird, and put chicken wire over the pea netting, eventually completely covering the roof with corrugated plastic, which was expensive. We made a moveable run for the lawn, so that they had a larger space, and we would suddenly see Lizzie travelling down to the garden gate. They were all great fun, and we still miss them.
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

They're still in (she says very quietly) Good tip about checking the fencing to see what can get IN.
Blimey! It's stopped raining!
Chrissie.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,I lost two girls to a fox , soon after I got them . My own fault as left a gap . Fox saw it before I did. Now I double wire everything and go at least 1 foot down and slabs round the bottoms. More locks ,bolts on the doors . If miss one than others as a back up . Never say , I think I looked them up. GO CHECK. The day you dont is the day you regret.
hope all goes well and like all things it is a learning curve that hopefully you do not regret.
bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Is this the fence around their run or the garden?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

SO.....now we know where our incessant rain is coming from...... {rofwl} Just let us know when you get a decent interval and I'll get a deck chair out
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

It's impossible to bury the fence around the run. There are oak trees all around with huge roots so we've done what we can and I've rolled huge (and bloomin' heavy) logs and placed them all around the edges, so there are no gaps between them.

It's not raining today!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , roots are good as bricks for a barrier. Logs as well round the edges also. if you can get a foot skirt will also help .
Watch for any digging , may give a clue to any activities not wanted.
Bob
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

Hi. Hope you've not had any more great escapes. How many girls have you got? Three French Hens? {rofwl} Seriously though - I'm looking forward to hearing more about your chooks. Good Luck from Librarychick, Bluebell and Ginger.
Librarychick, Bluebell & Ginger
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

Hello!

I've got four hens (three French hens!! Very good!!) . They've stayed in for a couple of days now and have gone from cowering in the corner to positivly savaging my toes if I dare to go in in sandles and charging anyone that goes near the run... incase they've got food!
They've now started going to 'bed' on their own. All is well... touching wood.
Have a lovely day.
Chrissie.
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

The first egg has arrived!!! >ch<
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Bet it is going to be hard (boiled ) descission to make , how to cook it. Many more to come with safe deliveries.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Have you eaten it yet? Or did you have a biog fight over who got it :-D

It's surprising how quickly they settle in isn't it?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper