Crumpets

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Crumpets

Post by fabindia »

How hard are they to get right! I can see the attraction of shop-bought ones now.

Still, never to be defeated, just the baking task for a rainy day.
Michael
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Crumpets

Post by mrs boodles »

Never made them, thought about it but afraid I buy shop bought, toasted really well under the grill with butter just melting into them. SCRUMMY. )eat(
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Mine always end up being rather flat, and after trying to make one or 2 thicker ones end up being defeated and making pikelet type affairs.

I think I need metal crumpet rings and a proper bakestone (I wish I knew what happened to my mums!) rather than the frying pan and silicon rings I've been trying.

I will add I've only tried once or twice.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I love crumpets. They remind me of Sunday afternoons when I was a child - mum would always make us crumpets with cheesy scrambled egg for tea )eat(

I've never tried making them myself as I'm pretty convinced my skills will not stretch that far :oops:

Does anyone else get hiccups when eating crumpets? My daughter and I always get hiccups when we eat them (which is fairly often) - I've always assumed it was something to do with the wholes in them, trapping air which we then swallow...
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Mad Chick wrote:I've always assumed it was something to do with the wholes in them, trapping air which we then swallow...

Lol. Sounds a good theory to me :-D
Michael
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

fabindia wrote:
Mad Chick wrote:I've always assumed it was something to do with the wholes in them, trapping air which we then swallow...

Lol. Sounds a good theory to me :-D

OMG! And look how I spelled 'wholes'? My old English teacher will be turning in her grave! yike*
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway