Starting to forage firewood

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Starting to forage firewood

Post by Richard »

Lovely day, 18 degrees, slight breeze and dry so started to forage some dead wood for the Rayburn.

I only pick wood which will either snap or break when I tamp on it (too much effort to saw!!).

There's so much on the ground in the wood this year so won't need to worry about running out through Winter.

Love the woods. I always think there's something watching me - truth is something usually is !

[center]Image

Image[/center]

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Re: Starting to forage firewood

Post by nicklincs »

)like(
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Richard,
If you want some already cut to size and seasoned I have a bit of a surplus.
In the last three years I have taken out the top 25ish feet of one maple, one oak, coppiced a hazel and I'm half way through an oak this year.
This winter or next year I have to remove one 45 foot oak completely and take back a hornbeam by at least 20 feet at least. By the time I've done that lot it will be time to start on the limes that I pollarded five and six years ago.
Just let me know and I'm sure I could drop you off a load )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Dom

What a generous offer, thank you.

Problem is you may recall I burnt a load of seasoned logs two winters back, when the Chimney Sweep came he advised against them. Apparently chimney was in a bit of a state and he reckoned that's what caused it.
The Rayburn is 67 years old and virtually held together with rust !!

You're more than welcome to pop in any time though.

I just collect two types now; Kindling and medium 1" - 2" diameter dead stuff to get the fire going then put the Solid fuel eggs on.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Richard wrote:Hi Dom

I just collect two types now; Kindling and medium 1" - 2" diameter dead stuff to get the fire going then put the Solid fuel eggs on.

Richard )t' )t'

As it happens I have a stack of sticks around that diameter that I trimmed off the stuff I turned into logs and you're welcome to it if you want. They are in 4 to 6 foot lengths but I can quickly cut them to a suitable size while I'm cutting up the big stuff if you wanted them.
Dom
Ali Woks My World