Runner Beans - Better late than never ??

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Runner Beans - Better late than never ??

Post by Richard »

Blimey they took their time this year, it's only in the last couple of weeks or so they've produced bigger crops.

See me through Winter though

[center]Image[/center]

How have your Runners done ?

Richard >shrug<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Runner Beans - Better late than never ??

Post by Mo »

They never germinated, and I didn't get round to buying new seeds. I miss having them though - bought beans just aren't the same.
I'll try harder next year.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Just started picking ours, and they will be at full strength when we are away, they are so late!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

They are late this year and not so productive as usual. Enjoying what we do have.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Just starting to pick mine, not so many as when had allotments in Sussex but am pleased with what I am getting as enough to freeze.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Like any fast growing plant Runners need lots of compost and well rotted manure under them .I grow in the same place every year and grow enough to freeze for the winter and spring for 3 families. But the secret is compost or well rotted manure .Before i cover my beds up i manure them dependant on what is going in the following year ,with my runners once the tops are finished and they are just about now ,cut them off at ground level and remove ,dig in any remaining root as it supplies nitrogen to the soil .Once dug over dig a trench about a foot or a bit more deep and put in 6 to 8 in of well rotted manure or compost ,pull the soil back over and compact it down ,it is now ready for next years crop .I cover mine with thick black plastic and weight it down to discourage weed growth .Set your beans on the top of the compost trenches and watch them grow ,once flowers are on twice a month i feed with Tomato fertiliser Tomerite or similar.Once growing keep well watered in dry spells.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014