At last, a Hedgehog down the Lane

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

At last, a Hedgehog down the Lane

Post by Richard »

The Doctor who lives opposite said she saw one about 5 weeks ago - I haven't seen one down here for about 5 years or so.

I'd spent this afternoon making my bird feeders rat proof (put my night infra red camera up last night to see how they were doing it !!).
That's the reason I went outside, just to see if the peanuts had gone down and there was this medium to large sized Hoggy snorking his or her way accross the garden!

Didn't have my camera so tomorrow I shall set the Infra Red up and hope it pays another visit.

I'm well chuffed !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: At last, a Hedgehog down the Lane

Post by mrs boodles »

We had one by the front door under a garden chair the other evening. I haven't seen one for many years either. Used to be something that was quite normal to see when I was growing up.
mardatha
Lively Laner

Re: At last, a Hedgehog down the Lane

Post by mardatha »

I've not seen one for years... we used to have a wee family who visited every night.
I don't have much in the way of garden animals.. earlier in the summer we get young hares who come in the very early mornings to nibble the grass, they are pretty.
In spring I sometimes get lambs - funny how they seem to be able to get IN all right but are a nightmare to get OUT again lol.
And a couple of unusual ones. Once I was looking out of the kitchen window and thought "is that a guineapig?!" Yes it was, and it was feral. Couldn't catch it at all. We laid out food for it and it lived under the shed for about 8 months, but the bad winter that year killed it, it went to minus 17 here. Poor wee soul.
And after that there was a wee ferret peeping out at me when I was hanging out the washing LOL. I put out cat food and grabbed it, put it in the old hutch we had, and my son was happy to rehome him.