Young Pigeon

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Young Pigeon

Post by HedgeHugger »

OH Spotted an odd sight yesterday. Pigeon on the fence that when it moved it's head, food came flying out of it's mouth. It was with an adult yesterday, it got fed by the adult.
Today it was pootling around the garden in the afternoon, practically oblivious to me stood about 2 foot from it. Still stuffed so far the food falls out of it's beak when it moves it's head. No adults about. It's not confident on it's wings. One seems to have an odd angle, don't think it's broken (it can fly, sort of), maybe because it's newly fledged it's not used to it.
Anyhoo, decided that if it was around still when it got dark I'd lock it in the chicken run, to save it from the local cats.
Darkness fell, checked the garden, no pigeon. Flown off, thinks I.
Putting the chooks to bed, I spotted a little grey body tucked down behind the coop. It had taken itself in there!
So it's locked up until morning, safe from cats, dry, food and water.

I know most people see them as pests (and they are when gobbling food at a rate of knots! from my feeders), but I am happy for it to be around until it gets a bit more strength.
What am I letting myself in for? :)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Young Pigeon

Post by Richard »

Nice story.

Yes, they are a pest in many ways, but mainly to humans !

I think there are many living beings who would see us as pests.

Good for you. No mater what the creature is, it should always be helped.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Young Pigeon

Post by HedgeHugger »

The run was opened up around 7am. He stayed under cover in there until around midday, when he snuck out, between rain showers.
There had been an adult cooing on the roof for a while before he went. Not sure if it was a parent calling for him or just a chancer looking for love :)