When to pick apples

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

When to pick apples

Post by albertajune »

In a green area opposite my home is a very full apple tree. I have no idea what they are but think for eating as they even now have a bit of sweetness to them, although still quite dry. As I don't grow apples I have no idea when apples are usually harvested.
Please give advice if you have any idea. I don't want to go out one day and the lot has gone.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: When to pick apples

Post by Mo »

There are 2 answers.
The official one is - lift and give a slight twist and if the apple, pear or plum comes off in your hand it is ripe.
The practical one is - before the wasps, flies, or birds decide they are ripe.
They can smell ripe fruit and home in - so for plums I pick if they show colour, pears if they come without too much tugging. Apples I usually go by the official version (but have plenty so can share).
The other side is - when are they ready to eat. Some early apples lose their taste and texture quickly when picked - my Laxston Superb, Laxton Exquisite and Worcester are best eaten between tree and kitchen. James Grieve is ready to pick early September but tastes sweetest if kept till it goes yellow then goes mushy so I eat in September. Lord Lambourne, I pick September, eat October. Kidds Orange, pick Oct, eat Nov onwards.
Bramley cookers, the windfalls can be used from Aug but might need sugar, I pick the good ones in October.

Any fruit that has lodgers is quickest to ripen and fall, 'knife and fork apples'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Wow. What a comprehensive answer. You really must be our apple expert here. I sort of go by the second option, by which time option one is more than likely true too. )like(
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for such a full answer Mo. The couple that OH picked didn't seem quite ready but I must go and look for myself. As I don't know what it is, giving a slight twist seems to be the answer.
How many apples trees do you have, you lucky lady? Sounds as though you have a great selection.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I get a different answer each time I count. I think it's 10 apples, 4 pears, 5 plum, & 3 cherries that the birds usually strip. Some are duplicates and there are far more than I can use, pick or give away, but I have apples from the end of August to well after Christmas, I still had cooking apples in March. I save the small ones to throw out for the birds in frosty weather.
No it's 13 apples (11 sorts including a Cox thay never has any apples).
And I forgot all the damsons in the hedge
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Mo wrote:I get a different answer each time I count. I think it's 10 apples, 4 pears, 5 plum, & 3 cherries that the birds usually strip. Some are duplicates and there are far more than I can use, pick or give away, but I have apples from the end of August to well after Christmas, I still had cooking apples in March. I save the small ones to throw out for the birds in frosty weather.
No it's 13 apples (11 sorts including a Cox thay never has any apples).
And I forgot all the damsons in the hedge

envy}}