Free family history

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Free family history

Post by KarenE »

Always good to find a Scouse connection LL )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I thought I would share what I have learned so far now that my month long £1 offer has expired. It was well spent and I managed to find such a lot more about my family history (providing I followed the right family lines of course LOL)

I also made use of 2 other "free" sites called Family Search and Lancashire On-line Parish Clerks (most of the family barely moved 10 miles from around Bolton so I was able to find out quite a lot)

KarenE wrote:Always good to find a Scouse connection LL )t'

actually ..............

Of all the stops and starts, my great great grandfather William born in Liverpool has been the most difficult. Coincidentally, there are 2 "Williams" of the same surname born in the same year of 1836 in Liverpool (with both fathers also named William!) but for the life of me I just could not find an 1841 or 1851 census record for either anywhere in the country. One father was a merchant married in Bolton and their son William born in Liverpool (I was able to get the mother's name and birth date which helped), the other was a ship builder. I have presumed the Bolton connection must be my relative as the mother was also born near there. Still, I pursued every avenue with no joy - perhaps the merchant travelled the world? Or maybe he died soon after William was born (I did find an 1841 census record with just William aged 5 in a household with a completely different family name but it didn't mention his relationship to the head of the family - so frustrating!) As for William senior married in Bolton - alas I haven't been able to go any further (the 1841/1851 census records might have helped with his birth place as there are no Bolton birth records that I could find)

As for the ship builder - I stumbled across a prison record with the name of a victim (presumably mur.dered?) yike* (I can't POSSIBLY be related LOL)

Again on my father's side (his grandmother), the family history is so fascinating with some famous connections. Sadly I'm not a direct descendant of those but it did make it easier to trace the line right back to 1600 because everything was well documented and local. Having saying that, there were 2 male descendants in the line that would have married when only 16 years old. Is that possible - it was the late 1600s and mid 1700s? Very strange.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Absolutely, 16 was almost middle aged then, and I think they married much younger, maybe as young as 12 if I remember rightly (but dont quote me on that in case I made it up .san.jump. )

I found not only one great great aunt having her first illigitamate child in the workhouse, but another on a different side of the family in hospital in Portsmouth, and her occupation was given as prosstitute {rofwl} What was interesting was that the latter went on to marry a mariner (a client?) and they never had any children. I wondered if that was connected to her hospital stay, it would be fascinating to know.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

p.penn wrote:and I think they married much younger, maybe as young as 12 if I remember rightly (but dont quote me on that in case I made it up .san.jump. )

I did notice the census records listed children under 12 as "scholars" whereas girls at aged 13 + as "unmarried" so you could be right
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Just had a quick internet search and in 1800s legal marriage age was 14 for boys and 12 for girls.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

p.penn wrote:I found not only one great great aunt having her first illigitamate child in the workhouse, but another on a different side of the family in hospital in Portsmouth, and her occupation was given as prosstitute {rofwl}

If one of Richard's historic relatives also had such an occupation would that make her a loose Cannon?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes {rofwl}
Helen xx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Find My Past is having another free weekend this weekend, just thought I'd let everyone know! )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks Karen )like(
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

yes - I got an e-mail too but sadly I've been too busy this weekend to take advantage of it {cry}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Find my past have another free weekend going. Get over there quick and find out how many skeletons are in your family closet!

I myself am descended from royalty +pinn+

(I'm surprised I don't burst into flames with that disgraceful fib!)

Finishes Monday and starts today I think. )t'
Karen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks Karen - I have just noticed that! What a wonderful opportunity to have a good browse!
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I've been making do with "free" sites to do searches but too often the information is incomplete (for example, a birth registration / baptism of a person only to get either no results or the very thing I'm looking for like the parents names and birthplace are missing - but you can look them up on a paid site like freemypast and ancestry.co.uk .... }hairout{ )

There was an offer on at findmypast with 50% off subscription (normally about £9-£13 per month depending on the site) The offer ends 5/1/2016 but if interested, the code is:

XMASOFF15

so a 12 month subscription costs £64.75p when applied. As I'm really getting into the family history at the moment, I've decided to go for the 12 month subscription.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I saw that LL - what a great offer for anyone wanting to properly explore their family history! Hope you have lots of fun with it )like(
Helen xx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

That's worth thinking about. Especially with the 1938 register just up.

I find I get very little from birth & death registrations as LL says - missing parent details is a real pain - and never seem to come up with birth certificates on FMP. Am I doing something wrong?
Karen