Library Chick's Chicks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Library Chick's Chicks - Sept 2015

Post by Librarychick »

What an exhausting week. Still waiting for the replacement piece of the new chicken coop. Promised 3-5 days but found out Thursday that I needed to complete a form and supply photos of broken piece. Did this by return and promised delivery for next Monday. So another week with the wooden coop. Supplier slightly implying that I broke the piece which is kind of annoying and not true They should have no quibble policy if they want good reviews. There is no way the delivery people would wait the hour or so it took to carefully unwrap and lay out sequentially over 44 pieces especially while their van is blocking our single track lane. Also a bit worried about durability of the new coop - especially during construction as they have reiterated the "right" and "wrong" way to put it together.

Ok back to the chickens. Seem to have busted the mite. Cleaning out the nest boxes every day - (i.e. not just poo picking) and dusting with DE. Also I think maybe helped by cold start to the week.

Just when I started to relax ... worms! Round worm I'd say! I won't go into details in case of the faint hearted. Mind you no-one who keeps chickens can possibly fall into that category. Lots more ^b: research about worming. I had the Flubenvet 1% at the ready but in a quandary about best way to administer. Read about a lot of people dipping cut grapes into the F powder. Sounds easy especially for just the two girls but how to control dosage? In the end opted to follow instructions to the letter. 6g of Flube in 2 kilos of pellets. Mixed a tiny quantity of olive oil, pellets and powder and then kept mixing into larger bowl with the wrong end of a wooden kebab skewer. Looked fully integrated and no powder residue. The 2kg of medicated pellets now in an old basin inside the feed dustbin and covered by a plastic bag. I may be wrong but with only two girls was hoping that 2kg would be enough to last 7 days (arithmetic not my forte). Feeding them in a separate bowl (no other food or treats) and water with ACV. Of course they are making a terrible fuss but tough love ... They have been confined to the enclosure too but tbh the weather was so wet at the start of the week it was probably just as well. Still no sign of )de: mite. The med pellets are going down fast. Hope don't have to mix more. If I do will go for 3g in 1kg. Marriages pellets with flubenvet next time? But would be a lot of waste as they don't seem to come in small amounts.

Tomorrow I will clean down coop again and enclosure. Need to carry on with worming until Tuesday then will repeat again after 7 days to be sure. When I do the repeat may do the grape method - any advice please ??

The new shed arrived today. Flat pack too (but not so many pieces as coop). We couldn't put it up as we had a friend for lunch. )ot: Celeriac and apple soup followed by lasagne and beetroot, fennel and goats cheese salad. Pleased )c+

It was a lovely sunny day we even sat out under the pergola for drinks with Bluebell and Ginger noisily making their presence felt in the background. They'd eaten all their pellets and I gave them a touch more - of course what they really wanted was treats. More tough love.

Bluebell still has that bald patch on her breast but you can't see the baldness underneath unless you pick them up and turn them over. Maybe all chickens are like that underneath? - the skin feels warm compared to the feathered areas - good for egg hatching? Still trying to convince myself that it wasn't the mite (and thanks for your reassurance on that front Bob but still feeling a tad guilty).

Thanks for reading my diary. That's all for tonight. LC +f+ and >ch<
Librarychick, Bluebell & Ginger

Katiee
Lively Laner

Re: Library Chick's Chicks

Post by Katiee »

hi LC Really like the sound of Celeriac and Apple soup....if you find a miniscule moment in your day ( between DE shakes and Flub dosing..) would you post a basic idea on how to make it for me please? I think it will fit in the Food & Drink section. thankyou )like(
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi LC

We've all been there with the wriggly poos yike*

I use the grape method, it's easy with 3 chickens. Cut a grape into halves or quarters depending on the size. Dip a cut side into the powder and administer the grapes! Dosage isn't scientific though but it's worked for me. I couldn't be doing with working out quantities and it looked too small so I was sure I'd got it wrong.

Do for 7 days as per instructions. The hardest part is making sure one greedy chicken doesn't eat all the grape bits.

Marriages pellets would be the most convenient way of worming but as you say, lots of wastage if you only have a small flock.

Worm about 3 or 4 times a year. I do it with the turn of the seasons.

My Rems has a bare patch on her crop and underneath but I think she did that herself last year when she was debating whether to go broody or not. Yes, it's to get the egg in direct contact with the skin so the temperature is right.

Well done LC Princess on winning the Battle of the Mites )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

Katiee wrote:hi LC Really like the sound of Celeriac and Apple soup....
OK - basic recipe is now on Food & Drink just for you
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

KarenE wrote:Hi LC

We've all been there with the wriggly poos yike*

I use the grape method
Good evening Karen and thanks again for support and advice

Well done LC Princess on winning the Battle of the Mites )t'[/quote] I am hoping so. I wasn't over-run but when there is enough to see them at all you have a problem.

It is a long time since I saw the Xena series - now I just watch GBBO. Mary Berry warrior princess?

Back to poos. They weren't actually wriggling but like a couple of pieces of spaghetti.TBH I'm feeling a lot happier than I have for a couple of weeks. Last week in Countrywide a lady was asking advice about her chickens and I actually was able to "fairly knowledgeably" ^b: join the conversation.

I think I will try the grapes with Flubenvet next time. Do you measure 6g and dip a half grape each for 7 days and what about the eggs - withdraw ?

Thanks again LC +f+ and >ch<
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Many thanks LC. )app( )app(
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mary Berry warrior princess?

Paul Hollywood is no Ares though +f+

Do you measure 6g and dip a half grape each for 7 days and what about the eggs - withdraw ?

Nothing as scientific! I put some powder in the lid of the tub, dip the cut side of the grape in it and then put the powder back into the tub! The grape absorbs enough powder and I shake most of the loose stuff off - as long as it's got a good coating, I'm fine. It's probably the most completely wrong way to do it but it works for me. And yes, I do it for 7 days.

And there is no egg withdrawal with flubenvet so you are fine to keep eating them )t'

Chicken keeping can be a bit up and down. Most of the time it's great but when the problems come they really can hit you if you know what I mean. When they are sick is the worst, and when they have things living on or in them yike* but once you've been through it you learn a bit more about what works and what doesn't. Above all - take it all in your stride. Chickens are a lot hardier than we think. They'll be fine with the flub - don't worry about getting it exactly bang on.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

Good news. Replacement piece for new plastic coop arrived safely on Monday. Bad news. Working at the weekend as busy start of term so I won't have much time to build new coop. Both hens laying well although they have had a lean week (worming). The 2kg only just eeked out to the 7 days and I relented and gave them some corn yesterday evening. They'd eaten all the medicated pelllets. I thought that 140kg each a day would have been enough. Next time I mix the flub I will do 7.5g flubenvet in 2.5kg over 7 days (or possibly just try the grape method as suggested by K - sounds a lot easier). I know people say "relax" you don't need to be so exact but despite reading instructions and searching web and Forum, I just can't seem to get my head around what the aim is. OK I get that the worming treatment needs to work over 7 days and that they need to be evenly medicated. But is the reason that you withdraw treats and other feed just to be sure that they do eat all the medicated feed (certainly keeping them hungry meant mine ate every pellet) or is it that they need an even amount of food all medicated throughout each day or both? I'm worried I have underfed them (of course they like to give that impression - whining away - but mostly when they can see you around). With only the two girls it would be easy to give them a dab each on half a grape every day and feed them as normal otherwise. TBH I haven't seen any more round worms just a slightly darker more mushy poo. I was going to re-do the worming (after a week I said in an earlier post - not sure how I got that idea) but I think from reading up I need to wait three weeks. So medicate for 7 days, three weeks clear and then 7 days working again. Then I think I will do Vermex 3 days a month and one course of 7 days Flubenvet every 3 months. Still no sign of red mites but they're probably around. The enclosure does look nice and clean still following the spraying with poultry shield. +f+ >ch<
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,I am cobnfused as well , I have decided to make the girls eat the pellets ,then in the evening treat them . As long as the eat the worming stuff , cannot see how you stop them picking up food in the garden .
As long as the worms have gone and stay gone problem ok.
Bob
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

My diary seems to be more and more sporadic. But I'm still going and so are Bluebell and Ginger. +f+ >ch< . The plastic coop has worked out ok although not as aesthetically pleasing as the wooden one and not so well made. I broke a couple of bits off the nest box lid almost immediately but that is because the manufacturers had glued the bits on upside down and I hadn't noticed. No more sign of red mite and worming up to date. Bluebell stopped laying for most of the winter months and I was quite worried. She moulted loads but is now full feathered and very plump. Much bigger than poor old Ginger who has also dropped a lot of feathers. Her bottom was almost completely bare and quite dirty. I bathed both of them in a bucket and pleased to say that Ginger's fluffy bum is now back. Both hens are laying pretty much every day again although both eggs are quite brown. DH found a couple of "rat" holes IN the coop this week. My heart just sank but so far no more sign. He surmises that these are old holes uncovered by the girls - they've not dug them up again so far. Personally I am totally sceptical but how in h*ll the pesky rodents could tunnel under all the slabs and concrete goodness only knows.

We've had a great half term week at home doing lots of spring cleaning and DIY and also tidied up the allotment. Back to the library tomorrow.

I've enjoyed catching up with people's diaries over my hol. Although weather yesterday was abysmal (rain and gales) it is just fantastic to have the lighter mornings and evenings coming in.

All the best for now from Librarychick Bluebell and Ginger +f+ and >ch< Xxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Pleased to hear from you.
Best wishes .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Me too glad to hear from you, glad all well )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Me three )t'

I would share your scepticism about the rat holes. I have a rat (one???) who has burrowed from my greenhouse under a couple of slabs and into the run. They do tunnel and I think can quite extensively. I had bought poison to put down but something keeps telling me not to in case the girls eat it, so I've just bought a traditional trap and will bait it with peanut butter and hope for the best! My cat killed one but seems there were more and he's been useless ever since...
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sporadic is the right word, please tell us your news
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Spring 2017 Library Chick's Chicks

Post by Librarychick »

Hi All
Sporadic diary entries? More like totally dried up. But we are all still going just that life is too busy. Bluebell and Ginger looking good but not laying so much (almost one egg a day) but as the eggs are now quite similar, it's hard to tell if one hen is laying but not the other. Gave the coop a complete spring clean last week and it is also looking good. Also gave B and G a little bath in the bucket which they didn't mind too much. They are both looking pretty well-feathered but Ginger is much smaller than Bluebell.

Eggs have also tended to be quite speckly and also rough - calcium deposits.

All best wishes
Library Chick, Bluebell +f+ and Ginger >ch<