Legendary Laner

4,000 Hens need re-homing - Nr. Nuneaton

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all - Can you help?

A message from...

Hillside Animal Sanctuary
Norwich

http://www.hillside.org.uk/

'We have just been asked to help 4000 end of lay hens who are due to be sent for slaughter in a couple of weeks.

If anyone is able to give a home to some of these hens......

[center]Image[/center]

We have offered to take as many as we can of those that are left.

We have ground space to accommodate several more chickens, but will need extra, safe, fox proof runs and housing for them.

We are looking at purchasing chicken enclosures and shelters similar to that shown above, which cost around £500 per unit, to accommodate the hens we are able to rescue.

Giving a home to these doomed birds will help us place more of our many rescued cockerels with a group of hens. We are only able to take as many hens as we are able to provide accommodation for. If you'd like to help us rescue as many as possible, every pound donated would be very gratefully received'.

Thanks, Bob

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: 4,000 Hens need re-homing - Nr. Nuneaton

Post by Richard »

Thanks Bob - I've copied it into Hens needing homes as if someone does a google search for hen re-homing, they'd more likely to be directed into that Category.

Google searches are often based on what the title of a thread is.
The trick is to write a title which someone would type to find something.

I see the plight is featured on other Sites by other Charities so let's hope as many as possible are re-homed.
I assume that Hillside are not taking all the remainder but they're being shared out?

I also see they're asking £2.50 per hen - which is about right, another Site say's £2 and there are 5,000.

I hope the £2.50 is going to the Charities? Farms sell their Chickens to Food Manufacturers for no more than 25p - 50p each.

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Thank you Richard if one bird is saved it is a result.
Bob
Richard

Post by Richard »

Disclaimer..

May I just please add that as it appears these are being sold from the Farm and not directly through the Animal Sanctuary / Rescue Centre, I cannot accept responsibility for any matters relating to availability, welfare or other issues.

I'm sure all is OK but hope you understand that as Web Site owner, these things have to be put in place.

Thank you

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mubashir.zia
Learner Laner

Post by mubashir.zia »

Hi i would like some chickens and cockerels but can you deliver them to birmingham? )like(
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

Sorry to butt in on your second post as well.

These Hens were distributed a while back.

If you haven't read my other post, try Farmer / Poultry Auctions in your area.

Thanks, Richard )t'
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, Try looking on Fresh start for hens .They are doing a rehoming on the 9th Jan up north near you I think .
Bob
if not keep a eye out on the site as by spring they will have plenty of girls needing homes for sure all over the country.
best wishes