Just seen a deer PTS

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Just seen a deer PTS

Post by albertajune »

From my window I have just seen an RSPCA man have to put a deer to sleep. It was on the grass just off the car park in front of me and obviously injured in some way, although no blood. The guy moved it about and it tried to stand but couldn't, so sad.
I thought an injection as is the way for our pets, but it was done with some type of gun. It was rolled on its back afterwards and to my horror it's legs started kicking for a while.

This poor doe who was possibly pregnant but very thin was then dragged into the bushes for badgers etc to dispose of. I know it was the right thing to do but it was so upsetting to see.

Must try and get it out of my head {cry}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Just seen a deer PTS

Post by Meanqueen »

Try not to think about it June, it had to be dispatched. I hit a deer once, it ran out in front of my car, I had no chance to avoid it. It lay on the grass verge moving slightly it was still alive. I rang the police, who in turn rang the Lincolnshire Deer Society. Me in my naivety thought it could be mended.

A man came in a pick-up and had a look. I asked what was going to happen to it, thinking that if it couldn't be saved he would give it an injection. He said they can't mend an injured deer because they are nervous creatures and would not respond to treatment. It would not make a recovery. He reached for a gun from his vehicle, he said he was going to shoot it. At this point I got in my car and left the scene, I could not watch. I imagine that my deer ended up in someone's freezer, hence the pick-up truck.

I remember reading that a pop star a few months back found an injured deer, he picked it up and took it home. That was the wrong thing to do, it still had to be dispatched, better to do that at the scene.

Don't cry June, it's out of pain now. {hug}

Ilona
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

It's not a nice thing to have to witness, but least it was dispatched swiftly and cleanly. {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That must have been distressing for you June, but as you already know, they did the right thing {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com