Help! New member in need of pine cones

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
TWC1
Learner Laner

Help! New member in need of pine cones

Post by TWC1 »

Hello all, I've just found this lovely website for the 1st time, whilst looking for places I can collect pine cones. You see I'm part of a Kent village group and we're having a Christmas fair to raise funds for the charity Medicins sans Frontiere. I'm the only one with no 'craft' skill and thought my contribution would lie in pine cones, I'd collect them, spray them in Christmassy colours, bag them up and dress with ribbon and bells etc...you get the picture. BUT then my friend tells me there's no cones left in the wood and now I'm up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I saw a reference to Kent on the site and wondered if anyone local to Tenterden might know of a location where I might find some cones (and where it's permitted to collect them of course?) Any help will be most welcome and I'm really looking forward to finding my way around the site and reading all the interesting posts.
p.penn

Re: Help! New member in need of pine cones

Post by p.penn »

Hello, and welcome to DTL )wav(

Sorry, I am nog local to Kent, so have no ideas about collecting them, but it sounds a great idea to decorate them for charity )like(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

I'm also not a Kent local but a quick google shows a couple of woodlands that might be worth checking out of they are nbear to you?

http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/wil ... -woodlands

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visitin ... ed-forest/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pine+ ... d5T-caR-AM

Also another quick google and you can buy them on ebay and such - bit of a last resort maybe?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

No help at all but there are tons on the downs in Bristol!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
TWC1
Learner Laner

Post by TWC1 »

Thank you to all who have replied - so fast! Shame I'm not nearer to Bristol! I've been scouting about on ebay etc - it may well end up being Hobson's choice but thank you for those links - I'll check them out and take a look. Many thanks to you all, goodnight.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

it might be the wrong time of year but a smaller alternative would be alder cones (look like mini pine cones in a bunch - see this link to Google search)

Good luck with your search for cones )t'
TWC1
Learner Laner

Post by TWC1 »

Thank you Lancashire Lass, Alder cones a nice idea - I have some acorns which would make a good buddy for them. The hunt begins ......
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

There's a lot around me in Kennington.
It's private woods, but I'm allowed.
It wouldn't be until about Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Let me know, I can either bag some up for you or collect.

I'm going to Dungeness Bird Observatory one day mid week so could go via Tenterden.

Shadoxhurst (Orlestone Forest, Birchett Wood) Woods, along Church Lane is a good bet and not too far for you.
Just nearby, along Malthouse Lane.
Unsure about legality though, I think it's the Woodland Trust.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Note I edited in some more to above post
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome