Changing tastes with age ?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Changing tastes with age ?

Post by Richard »

I used to be dead against Sprouts when a young lad - now I love them.

What food did you dislike when young, but now enjoy ?

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Changing tastes with age ?

Post by KarenE »

Sprouts, cabbage and sweet corn. Love them now.

I'm still not overly keen on mash. Very bad school dinners experience has scarred me for life on that one. And peas. My taste hasn't changed for them.

It's interesting how tastes change. We had a very working class 'British' diet when I was younger - meat & 2 veg or chips type stuff, with very traditional ways of cooking esp vegetables and salads. It wasn't till I was in my late teens & twenties that I tried different things like Chinese, Italian. Now I love cooking Mediterranean, Chinese and Indian and I love a nice salad with dressing. Plus I use a wide variety of herbs & spices too. I have eaten some very odd stuff in my years!

My parents are the same now so it's really what you're used to and have access to - they wouldn't have had much when they were younger after the war but are more experimental now. They still eat really boring salads though ;)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wendy

Post by wendy »

Parsnips disliked them when I was young. But love them now.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Cheddar! Ate lumps of it as a kid apparently. As I grew older I hated it. Then, as a student I started to like it melted on spag bol etc but couldn't eat it 'raw' whereas now I can eat it any which way! Weirdo I am :oops:
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Mushrooms, brie, stilton.... hated them when I was young but love them now. And olives - I was very late coming to olives - about 50! yike*
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ooh yes olives - but only black ones!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

According to my mother I was the fussiest child ever.

I disliked nearly all vegetables other than carrots and sweetcorn - now the only vegetables I don't like are beetroot and celeriac.

I hated any cheese other than very mild cheddar - now I love really strong cheese, especially blue cheese.

I wouldn't eat anything spicy - now I love spicy food.

My tastes started to change when I moved away to college - I rented a room with a lovely family and it included my meals. Alan was a chef and took it upon himself to educate my tastebuds. As I was an extremely polite 16 year old I would force myself to try everything he made me rather than cause any offence... And I always ended up asking for seconds!
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Swede. Hated it in stews as a kid. Last stew I made had a whole swede in it, and I ate (and liked) it :)

Sprouts, Hated them when young. These days we've been known to have sprout curry, a bit of excitement for a windy night {rofwl}

Parsnip are still hit and miss, don't mind them occasionally, but once or twice a year does me. Quite like them mashed.

Peppers, vile vegetables of doom when I was young. Eat them stuffed, raw, on pizza, any way doesn't matter.

Recently I had a craving for Ovaltine, hunted everywhere for some that was made with milk (not water). While looking, we bought Horlicks, as an alternative (which I never used to like, really).
Then found some Ovaltine.

Ovaltine tasted like dishwater, but I now like Horlicks, go figure.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:I used to be dead against Sprouts when a young lad - now I love them.

Richard )t' )t'

I loved sprouts as a child but can’t eat them now. I will be physically sick and I have tried. Like most children I loved sweet stuff but I am not fussed about it now preferring savoury. I have never liked parsnips that much so nothing changed there. I used to hate fish except perhaps cod fish fingers with lots of tartare sauce, the only fish or seafood that I don’t like is perhaps whelks and that is probably because when I have had them they had a rubbery texture, a bit like trying to chew a tractor inner tube. I am not that fussed on cod to be honest as it lacks flavour of any sort in my opinion. Tomatoes, hated them as a child but love them now, actually most salad is the same, loathed it them love it now.
Bah Humbug
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I never ever liked beetroot as a child, even until recently when a friend made some in a jelly, it was delicious, and since then I have eaten it with mayonnaise or yoghurt.

Being diabetic, I can be really keen on something for a while, and then go completely off it, eg fish pie, which I loved, but am now averse to.

I do like most vegetables. Later this week, we are going to try kale, which we used to pull up, and give to cattle when I was young. So it will be an interesting experiment.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I wasn't just a fussy child but also did not eat food if I could help it - I was very ill when a toddler and I suspect somehow I associated food with illness. Even when chocolate was offered, I refused ... but I think we got over that one a long time ago LOL I was seriously underweight for my age and a bit of a challenge for my mother who wasn't the most patient.

It's only when we went to South Africa and I had a tonsillectomy that I started eating properly. Even so, fresh fruit and vegetables were not my favourite - anything new was treated with suspicion. For years I would not touch fried mushrooms and then one day realised what I was missing - so not necessarily a change in taste with age, but just never tasted things before. Even so, cabbage, sprouts and caulis were a definite no, green beans were tolerated but not enjoyed.

For obvious reasons, if my mother didn't like something she didn't cook it. Only when I left home did I stretch my palate (I love garlic in just about everything) and since growing vegetables and eating my own produce, I have added lots more. I don't mind cabbage now (but prefer it in a thick vegetable soup, not as a separate serving) and like a few sprouts. Cauliflower - I once had a cauliflower cheese serving at a meal out (which considering there wasn't many other veg, I felt compelled to eat it) and it was surprisingly nice, but for the life of me I can't seem to make it and cauliflower still tastes (and smells) awful. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with turnip, swede and broccoli. As for green beans - one of those vegetables that if there was a famine I would eat but given the choice, I'd rather not. Tomatoes - still don't like raw ones but I just can't be without tinned/passata for spaggy bol and chilli con carne which are amongst my favourite dinners.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I never liked dinners when I was a kid, at home or at school. I did however love puddings, but I couldn't have one if I didn't eat my dinner. Now I am the opposite. I love my dinners, at this moment I am scoffing a bowl of home made veggie stew. I never have a pudding now, don't need it, my tum is full after the main course.
Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

For a long time every meal I ate as a child was a glass of milk and a slice of bread and butter >coc<
Mum took me to the doctor apparently and his response was I looked healthy and confirmed by mum I was and had lots of energy - so leave her to get on with it.

I don't remember at what time in my life I dropped the whole glass and a slice thing but then I embraced everything ...except Marmite, vinegar and pickled things (probably because they are in vinegar {rofwl}

As I got older I used to watch people eating pickled onions and think how nice it looked eating them ...so I forced myself to eat them until I liked them (writing this now I'm thinking sheesh I must have had some weird issues going on {rofwl} ) ...anyway I love them now (although not the really strong ones because I still real don't like vinegar )grin2( ).
I also said I didn't like Marmite (but had never tried it again after only trying it once)...moved to NZ an tried it ...and now I love it (and now it's really expensive!).

On the flip side I used to love coffee but over the years have really gone off it more and more - I love the smell an will often get myself one on the basis of that ...but I'm always disappointed. Used to love chilli but now I find I like the taste less and less of chilli in anything as the years go by. I'm sure there are other things that have increased and decreased on my list over the years....interesting discussion.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

I now like every thing I hated as a child but spam that was disgusting when I was I a child and still is also faggots yuk.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am the reverse I suppose I loved liver, red onions and grissle! Liver and grissle now makes me bulk and red onions though I still love give me a hangover, yes really!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/