My baby!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: My baby!

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Kath {cry} {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thinking of you jemberelli, and hope that your fibromyalgia calms down. {hug}
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you Spreckly. We set off early this morning to head up to Co Durham with Lollie. We had to stop 10 minutes before we got there because we were both in tears! Lollie ran into the house and immediately sniffed round, played with the 2 teenage children and made herself at home. They took her for a walk so that we could chat to 'dad' and leave before they got back. It was so hard, I hope I never have to do anything like that again {cry}

On the plus side, she will get loads of exercise which will make her less frustrated and therefore happier in the long run. The family seem really nice and I know they will give her as much love as us. They are going to keep us updated on how she gets on and Labradors In Need have said they will let us know if anything doesn't go according to plan.

Devastated all the same! {cry} {cry}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Heart breaking as it is, you've done the right thing.
I've also had to give a dog up for rehoming, complicated story, but I was heading to a refuge, and gave my dog up about a month before going there. It was gutting, but knowing I wasn't really coping with anything, let alone a bouncy dog. I knew it was right to give her a chance somewhere else.
A hard step, but you've done it. You won't forget her, you know she's in a good place and now you can start to move forward again.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks for your kind words HH - you're right, as heartbreaking as it is, it has to be done. Before I stopped work I was a Domestic Abuse Support Worker (Outreach and in Refuge) and one of the things sadly lacking was accommodation for fleeing women's dogs. Some areas have great charities for that type of thing but they are few and far between!
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

The RSPCA were implementing a dog temp re-homing thing for women going into refuges in Somerset. I missed it by a couple of months. One woman at the refuge had her own car and a staffy. The dog wasn't allowed onto site, and practically ate the inside of her car! as that was where she tried to keep it.

Derailling your thread now, sorry!

A nice big chunk of cake or chocolate and a cup of coffee helps in most cases . Spoil yourself :)
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Eek, poor dog & poor car! Good on the RSPCA though, I rarely have much good to say about them! Tea, toastie and lemon drizzle cake in the lovely vintage tea room in town worked wonders this afternoon )pg(
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Just seen your posts about Lollie. I am so sorry. Sending you a big hug. {hug}
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you Mrs Boodles, good to see you back, I've missed you {hug}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

How are you doing jemberelli? {hug}
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Managing to talk about her without crying now but I still have my moments! It's so tempting to pick up the phone every 5 minutes to see how she is settling in - we have to remember she's not ours anymore which is a horrible feeling! I'm sure it will get easier in time. Thank you so much for asking Spreckly, it means a lot {hug}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, Jem what sad, sad news to read. {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss}
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Gwen, good to 'see' you!
Over the weekend I texted Lollie's new 'dad' as I hadn't heard anything. He texted back to say she was not the dog for them as she had eaten socks, trainers, remote controls and a pair of glasses. Labradors In Need went and took her to another foster home. I was so upset and angry. He hadn't had the balls to tell me she had been moved on and poor Lollie had been through so much already - I was devastated, in bits!

I texted LIN and she apologised, saying she thought he would have told us. Anyway, she is now in Yorkshire with a lady who already has an older dog. She has 2 acres to run around in and can go on the sofa etc like she did here. She has settled in very well, the older dog has had a new lease of life and she says Lollie is a star. She sent me loads of photos of her running around with 3 other labs on a walk, of her settled on a rug next to her new friend etc. The lady wants to adopt her and already loves her to bits.

What a rollercoaster of emotions! The photos really put our minds at rest and we feel even happier than we did when we left her originally. It's still really hard not having her, we miss her so much but it was the right thing to do for her {cry}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How shocking for you! Surely they knew that normal puppies chew things?
Anyway all's well that ends well hopefully, it sounds like your baby is finally in
the right place. >fi< it works out for you all
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Gees, that is not on, not to be kept informed of what is happening and where she is by either party, not on at all.

Of course she is going to be unsettled and do daft things with the changes, she will be confused, what dog wouldnt. Dont think they gave it a long enough time for her to settle imho, but they do the same with horses too, so unfortunately nowt new really. {mr.angry}

Hopefully she has her forever home now, bless her and you. {hug&kiss}