Cat spraying

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Cat spraying

Post by chookmike »

Our 3 year old neutered cat, Pip, has started spraying around the house as well as in the garden, which is not acceptable.

Are there any tricks out there to resolve the problem? We have had females in the past and have no ideas on what to do.

He also broke his foot the other day and is in bandages and confined to the house which doesn't help...

Any wisdom gratefully received!

Thanks

Mike
wendy

Re: Cat spraying

Post by wendy »

I know absolutely nothing about cats.
But I would say if he hasn't done it before. There is something worrying him.
Quite possibly his broken foot :?
How to stop it is another matter. It may be worth speaking to a cat behaviourist.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think that once they start you have to be careful to remove the smell, or they do it again in the same place. Our older neutered tom started (too lazy to use cat flap?) and the vet gave us a spray to put on the place.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thank you both.

Just spoke with our brilliant vet (who knows his way around chickens too if you are in Hertfordshire)

We have two problems here: the spraying which we can wait on, but today his pee started containing blood.

He is in a big bandage and is locked in 24/7 for two weeks.

He was found as a stray kitten - looked just weaned but 5 months old: full of worms, covered with fleas and all the rest. He is therefore an 'outside' kinda fellow although nowhere near feral; very affectionate and comes home every evening to share a bed or curl up on his favourite chair. Wendy is correct; his imprisonment has caused something called 'stress cystitis' which for reasons I cannot quite understand even as a qualified path lab haematologist causes bleeding into his bladder. There is no logic for me there but Chris says he sees it twice a week in injured cats which are then house bound against their will.

Picking up anti-inflammatories at 6am and he should be ok but the drug is urgent as they can get their urethra blocked by small clots and protein.

I hope this may be of help to other cat owners to put in the memory bank if pusskins gets grounded for a while.

Thanks all

Mike
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww bless him. Poor fella.
I hope all his problems get better soon [ cystitis is painful] and that will solve your problems {hug}

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh dear, poor puss. Does sound like stress related, hopefully the medication will sort it out. Try cleaning the spraying area with biological washing powder, that is supposed to get rid of the smell.
Ilona
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thank you all - very much

Pleased to report his pee is clear already clear, although he remains a very frustrated little out-door cat. We don't have any bio washing powder as it makes us itch and we use non allergenic liquid. We'll cope with the 'accidents' for the remaining 9 days as we have been overdue for a carpet clean for about two years now! There is no smell to my nose, but it is an unpleasant habit nevertheless.

Cheers

Mike
wendy

Post by wendy »

All sounding positive. Good to hear )t'

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What about vinegar or lemon to try and remove the smell?

Also - how did he break his foot? I've never heard of a cat breaking anything unless it was in a car accident.

Hope little Pip is on the mend {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hello Karen

He was fighting as usual. I would like to think he is always the victim but who knows?

He just arrived home leaving blood on the floor and the inner toe on one front paw sticking up at 90 degrees - he probably got it caught via the claw on a fence.

Now has a great big bandage after being knocked out by the vet and the bones re-set.

Not a happy cat at the moment.....

Pets

Cheers

Mike