What fresh herb can I grow inside, now?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Annemieke
Lively Laner

What fresh herb can I grow inside, now?

Post by Annemieke »

I like having fresh herbs with my sandwiches: dill, chives, coriander. I’ve currently got a coriander plant inside, but it’s coming to the end of its useful life. I’m not looking forward to the winter.
What can I grow inside, on a southerly windowsill which is now 10°C / 50°F? Our house is cold …. I could grow something outside under cover with a bit of trouble.
Thanks!
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: What fresh herb can I grow inside, now?

Post by lancashire lass »

it's a bit late to start herbs off from seed and usually established plants like sage, thyme and chives can be brought indoors and put on a sunny south facing window - but even these will stop growing as the sun level and warmth drop off in winter. Supermarkets sell fresh herbs in the veg section where they are started off in special greenhouses (with additional heat and light) - I often see them on the reduced shelf which are rescuable.

For sandwich fillings, I can highly recommend seed sprouts (start these off in a jar or sandwich box on damp tissue and placed somewhere warm like an airing cupboard or on top of a computer (mine at work often gets used like a propagator heater to encourage germination of seeds such as the chillies and peppers in early February LOL) Alfalfa, bean sprouts, radish, leeks and onions from surplus seeds (important they are not treated with a fungicide sometimes used to prevent damping off as you don't want to be ingesting that) Mustard and cress seedlings on a windowsill to green up are great on sandwiches.
Annemieke
Lively Laner

Re: What fresh herb can I grow inside, now?

Post by Annemieke »

Thank you! And how could I have forgotten mustard and cress.
Love, Annemieke.
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com