Run away Mr Mole

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Run away Mr Mole

Post by Meanqueen »

We have a lot of molehills in our churchyard, I can see that it will annoy someone at some point and they will want to get rid of Mr Mole. I have been looking at yooootooob vids and it seems the way they capture them also kills them, horrible traps. {cry}

I do hope it doesn't come to that. I may be soppy but God loves all creatures, even those who dig holes in his garden. I hope Mr Mole goes away before the nasty men come and dig him out. Is there a nice way to catch moles and release them somewhere else? If I go out after dark with a torch is there a chance I can find him and relocate him?
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Run away Mr Mole

Post by Mo »

Probably not. They mostly stay underground, and even if you are watching a molehill appear and one pops up by accident they dig down again very fast.

Yes, people want a wildlife garden, but not moles / rats /rabbits cabbage white butterflies.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I walked through the churchyard this morning, someone has flattened the hills and scattered the soil. I couldn't see any traps, don't know if they mark them so they know where to check later.
Ilona
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

The soil from molehills is supposed to be excellent for potting plants...

Aside from that tip, I seem to remember reading somewhere that popping a musical card* down the hole will make the moles go away. How true this is I have no idea, but it is certainly more friendly than those vicious mole-traps!

*musical card meaning one of those birthday/christmas cards that play happy birthday, jingle bells etc.

Did watch a youtube video once of a guy picking up a mole from a molehill, think they can be feisty and bitey, so if you did want to catch any, thick gloves, a bucket and a first aid kit are probably required :)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree about the soil they dig up, weed free and fine !

I see where Mo's coming from, most of us are selective about what they want in their Garden. A problem.

I've had moles come and go on their own. Had one in the Chicken House once !!

Don't want a massacre in the Graveyard !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sadly the mole was killed. {cry} He was gassed. The vicar requested that he be caught alive and relocated. Don't know why they couldn't have done that. Mean horrible nasty molecatcher.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not sure if anywhere would welcome a mole being relocated.
Or be very pleased at a molecatcher who they suspected of drumming up trade by releasing moles onto their land.

I was always glad that Jim's moletraps never caught any, though I could see his frustration at the extra work there was in mowing grass that moles had made uneven, plus the damage to mower if they brought up stones.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Lord Sheffield, the Prime Ministers father in law owns most of the land round here. There are two large woods and acres of open spaces. Mr Mole could have spent out the rest of his life snuffling around and not bothered anyone. Humans are a thousand times more destructive than animals, sorry, I will always come down on the side of creatures who cannot speak for themselves.
Ilona
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I agree Ilona, the only things I kill are mosquitos & horseflies. My neighbour is
battling with a mole that sometimes digs into his flat green law. I've made him
feel bad about trying to kill it, so he's dug in a barricade & I've given him a
mole plant (Euphorbia). Now it's staying in the field. Apparently bulbs are a
deterent too.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Not sure if I should open a new thread so I will apologize to the Initial Poster and request Admin/Mod moves this post if required.

Simple question:

"Has anyone found a sure fire way of getting rid of moles.......permanently?"

Their tunnels and hills have destroyed 80% of our garlic crop and are edging towards the rhubarb patch!

I have tried:

Flooding them out/Collapsing their tunnels - short term success
Smoke bombs/Deterrent powder - longer term success
Kids windmills/Electronic Deterrent (vibrations) - no success

Now I actually like them, they fascinate me and every spring I take my wheelbarrow out to the fields and collect mole hill soil for compost and to help break up the clay and rock hardsoil in the garden but I would prefer them outside my garden beds rather than in them!

Any ideas please...............
"Not all those who wander are lost"