quick apple crumble for one

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

quick apple crumble for one

Post by Mo »

This time of year I often have stewed apple in the fridge (while I'm making, I make plenty).
Can't be bothered to make a pie for 1 (not that keen on pastry anyway), So often I eat it with a digestive biscuit instead. But fancied a crumble the other day - not worth using the oven just for that as I was going out so wouldn't benefit from the warmer house.

So just put the apple in my dish, weighed 1 oz flour SR, half oz sugar & hard marg, rubbed them in (on the scale pan to save washing up), gave them a couple of minutes in the microwave - then more minutes till done. Came out fine - not brown but like shortbread.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: quick apple crumble for one

Post by HedgeHugger »

Sounds good and simple.

Wonder how it would be if you crushed the digestive and used that as a crumble type topping?
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

)like(
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

me too :-D :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That sounds really yummy. )like(

I make fruit crumbles and pies then put in freezer which I find very good if I am in a hurry.

Do you like stewed apple with either custard or cream? I love it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like stewed apple almost any way. but not that bothered to make custard for 1 very often.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My neighbour gave me some apples, I just stew them, I don't make custard, crumble, or pie. I sometimes put some on my morning cereal, makes a nice change. Or I put a dollop of plain yogurt on it.
Ilona
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

)like( Nice idea, think i might try the apples on cereal :-D
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

It sounds really interesting - I might give that a go because, even for two, it can be a bit of a faff. I as just wondering about making up batches of crumble mix and custard for the freezer, then you could put it on anything you have handy, not just the apple. The crumbled digestive biscuit will also be given a try, and maybe even a ginger nut.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I did try freezing pastry crumb in the past, but decided that it kept fine in the fridge for long enough, so I do a batch of crumble crumb and use it 3 times. OH liked pie so there was usually pastry crumb in the fridge.

I assume you are thinking of using the biscuit crumb without further cooking - will you warm the fruit? Tell us how that goes.

In the oven I sometimes find the crumb brown and dry on top, sticky and undercooked underneath, my fault for being inexact I suppose. Microwave is better. When I made juicy pear crumble the juices melded with some of the crumb to make a toffee sauce which I liked.

I've got jars of Robertsons mincemeat, so I'll make pastry and have a hot mince pie sometime over the festive season (a bit too sweet to want often).