Beef brisket - what did I do wrong?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Beef brisket - what did I do wrong?

Post by Freeranger »

I bought a brisket of beef for New Year dinner. It was c 1.1kg, and I seared the outside then half-covered it in a mix of stock and red wine then cooked for 90mins at 190. I'd intended just to slow-roast it but hadn't realised it should be 'casseroled' so I ended up following the instructions on the label. It was tough as old boots. What did I do wrong, please, and does anyone have a better cooking method?
manda

Re: Beef brisket - what did I do wrong?

Post by manda »

Did you cover the roasting tin with foil while it was roasting Freeranger ?

Sorry to add to that...
You can BBQ them and you can also cook a brisket in the slow cooker.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear, that's a shame Freeranger. {hug}

I have cooked brisket, and its the best for pot roast. I've just looked up the recipe I use from Delia, and its 3 hours at 140 degrees for a 1.1kilo joint. Your method sounds fine, just the temp needs to be lower.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Manda, I cooked it in a large bowl with a pyrex plate over. Helen, it sounds as though I should have cooked it slower for longer, so will tr that next time. I don't know why, but I've never really been good at meat cookery, which is a real shame since we have wonderful butchers and produce here.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

PS I forgot to say,as Manda said, it must be covered.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com