haven't stopped crying yet

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Victoria
Lively Laner

haven't stopped crying yet

Post by Victoria »

Hello All

Please, please can somebody help...ASAP. )hlp>

My landlady payed me a lovely (not) visit last night. Telling me, completely out of the blue, that the chickens have to go, that the rats are over running the garden. They have been bad this year and I have to admit that she is right, they are rife....the cat brings them into the house, big and small, dead or alive. We live in the countryside which doesn't help.

But it's still hard to be told that my girls have to go when I love them so much. I've had ex batts for 8 years now, fluctuating anywhere between 4 and 12 at a time.

The thing is, the old bag has said I should wring their necks. What?? Really?? Think on.

Is there anyone who could take them and love them for me? ASAP. They can come with the coop if needed. Also they have wall fixing feeders. Obviously we can deliver these sweet girls if it would help.

We have one particularly sweet girl called Miracle who belongs to my daughter. I'm dreading telling her that her chook has to go. {cry}

Thank you for reading this. I have my fingers crossed.

Vicki

ps )ot: we're a very sad family at the moment. We are also looking for a forever home for our truely sweetest little dog Nica. She is small Collie ish size. We rescued her from Romania...found living in rubbish in Bucharest with her brother, roughly 12 weeks old. She is now 8 months old. We got her in November but tragically we have to find her a new home. We've tried and tried but she just doesn't get on with our cats, big time. It just isn't working out. She comes with vaccinations including Kennel Cough and Rabies. She is also microchipped and has a passport. Although we paid for her we don't want to 'sell' her. The right forever home, where she won't be passed on again is far more important than the money. She desperately needs a new mummy and daddy, that's the main thing. It's breaking my heart. {cry} x
Appreciate and enjoy what you DO have!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: haven't stopped crying yet

Post by kitla »

Do you have any rescues within reach that could help you out?
what part of Yorkshire are you?

The rats are rife because of the mild weather not the chickens, we had rats in the
garden before we had chickens, usually when the farmers moved their muckpiles or
harvested the crops. If the chicken food is taken in at night & put in a
non-spill trough in the day there's nothing to attract the rats really. Sorry, it's
probably too late to reason with her now, it just makes me mad when the chickens
get blamed for everything.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

Hi Kitla

Unfortunately we have the rats all year round, lots of them, no matter the weather. We didn't have them before the chooks.
The food and water is brought in at night and the feeders are non spill. They still manage to jump (high) into the feeder. The rats actually sit on top of the coop! They jump onto the nest box and then onto the roof. Quite impressive really, very athletic. I counted 15 in the run this morning.....those are the ones I could see.
So you see, this really is a huge problem. I have no choice but to find them a new home. {cry}
We live just outside York but we will take them anywhere.

Vicki
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, I can imagine how upset you must be. That sounds like an awful lot of rats, you may need an exterminator (or a pied piper) to help you out there.

I'm nowhere near, but as Kitla says see if there are any rescue centres near you, or you may get lucky on here. Try the down the lane Facebook page too, there's loads of people active on there too.

Good luck
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There was a case a few years back highlighting the right that tenants have.
She can't stop you keeping hens.
So it might be worth talking to the council pest man first to get advice as to whether it is the hens that cause the problem and how you can keep them down.

But you might decide to keep on the right side of her and not insist.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Victoria wrote:Hi Kitla

Unfortunately we have the rats all year round, lots of them, no matter the weather. We didn't have them before the chooks.
The food and water is brought in at night and the feeders are non spill. They still manage to jump (high) into the feeder. The rats actually sit on top of the coop! They jump onto the nest box and then onto the roof. Quite impressive really, very athletic. I counted 15 in the run this morning.....those are the ones I could see.
So you see, this really is a huge problem. I have no choice but to find them a new home. {cry}
We live just outside York but we will take them anywhere.

Vicki

omg that is alot of rats! that must be quite scary!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

I'm sorry o hear of your demeanour, regret Rats can be a problem, I have them as well and there's no real solution.

As far as the Lady wringing their necks, should she, that's something to definitely report.

But it sounds that you have no option so hope you may find someone to take them for you.

Try the Down the Lane Facebook Group page...https://www.facebook.com/groups/35208892181/

Wishing you well.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

Thanks Richard.

Don't worry, nobody's getting their hands on my girls. She's so cold not to mention barbaric.

Vicki
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello Victoria

How difficult for you. How many hens do you need homes for?
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

Hi

I have 9 girls. If needs be I can split them but there are three that I would rather stay together. Though I would rather they stayed together the other 6 could also be split 3 & 3. I just need to find them a loving home ASAP. Also they only produce 3 eggs a day between them.....and I don't know which ones are the layers!...so you need to love them for who they are and not purely for the eggs!

Vicki
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

Can I just put a question? What is the general point of view on getting rid of the rats by poison? The landlady has been round to see if the girls have gone yet. She has given me that option. With that many rats I would have to keep it up all the time. It's not something I would normally consider. I don't like to harm anything.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I'm so sorry to hear this {cry}

We have a member here called aceface who runs a rescue called Phoenix Hen Rescue. I'm not sure where she's based but it's worth a try as she is so lovely. You could try sending her a PM as she's not online here often or try their Facebook page Phoenix Hen Rescue.

Good luck {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Definitely worth thinking about - I think many members on here who have had a rat infestation have found it the only way really (that or an airgun). I have a rat and am thinking there's no alternative to poison really, as much as I would rather not kill it. I have no idea where I would release it if I were to catch it.

Apparently removing water and food sorts the problem out - water even more than food - but I don't see how anyone can completely remove water in such awful wet weather!

To be honest with an infestation like yours sounds, I would seriously consider getting rentokil or the council out asap. And you may need a few visits to keep them under control, it does sound like a real problem. But if it means you can keep your girls it's got to be worth considering.

Apparently there are sonic deterrents as well, might be worth a google once you've had the exterminators out. I have no idea whether they are effective or not!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hewllo Victoria

We had rats a few years since, before we kept hens. The next door neighbours leave a lot to be desired, and the rats were living in their broken down garage. We could see them coming and going. We got the council round, and they put poison down on our property. At the time we had two dogs, but the boxes were totally sealed. They did the trick.

Personally I would not hesitate in getting rid of rats by gun or poison. Years since we lived next to a working farm, and they were always around. My cat was a brilliant ratter, and would quickly see them off.

I do hope that you can keep your hens. I have asked around, but so far no takers.
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

You're a star Spreckly. Thank you for asking around and for your opinion on the rat poison too. It's not something I had considered until it was suggested. I'm going to get some poison down tomorrow and see what happens.
Thank you everyone for listening and helping with advice.
I'd forgotten how DTL members are like an extended family. Everyone is so friendly and always ready to help, or just fun chit chat. I've been away for a long time, now I'm back, usually just reading the posts.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Vicki