haven't stopped crying yet

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: haven't stopped crying yet

Post by kitla »

I hate the idea of poison but when you have so many rats & think that they'll carry
on breeding if unchecked, it may be the best option. If they get hungry/brave enough
they will attack the hens too, I have a friend that lost several hens this way (not
small ones either)
Best of luck finding homes for your girls, I wish I could help but my coop is full.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Victoria - Phoenix Hen Rescue do a great job. I volunteer with Fresh Start for Hens. Would you be OK with me putting shout out to the members? Sadly, I have rather more hens than I would like at the moment but I'm quietly confident that between us we should be able to help.

We have a rat. I know that no-one ever has "a rat" but our next door neighbour is a cattle and sheep farm and she mucked out last week. The rat comes for our wild bird feeder. He/she is rather sweet but OH is making stressed noises again.

Chin up - I can always take 3 if all else fails and I live in quite a nice area so you could come and visit. Especially if we take the one that is special to your little girl.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Hi Victoria I'm not sure where you live but if you would like help my friend n I run Phoenix hen rescue uk on fb.
You can pm us there or pm me on here xxxxxxx
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Victoria wrote:Hello All

Please, please can somebody help...ASAP. )hlp>

My landlady payed me a lovely (not) visit last night. Telling me, completely out of the blue, that the chickens have to go, that the rats are over running the garden. They have been bad this year and I have to admit that she is right, they are rife....the cat brings them into the house, big and small, dead or alive. We live in the countryside which doesn't help.

But it's still hard to be told that my girls have to go when I love them so much. I've had ex batts for 8 years now, fluctuating anywhere between 4 and 12 at a time.

The thing is, the old bag has said I should wring their necks. What?? Really?? Think on.

Is there anyone who could take them and love them for me? ASAP. They can come with the coop if needed. Also they have wall fixing feeders. Obviously we can deliver these sweet girls if it would help.

We have one particularly sweet girl called Miracle who belongs to my daughter. I'm dreading telling her that her chook has to go. {cry}

Thank you for reading this. I have my fingers crossed.

Vicki

ps )ot: we're a very sad family at the moment. We are also looking for a forever home for our truely sweetest little dog Nica. She is small Collie ish size. We rescued her from Romania...found living in rubbish in Bucharest with her brother, roughly 12 weeks old. She is now 8 months old. We got her in November but tragically we have to find her a new home. We've tried and tried but she just doesn't get on with our cats, big time. It just isn't working out. She comes with vaccinations including Kennel Cough and Rabies. She is also microchipped and has a passport. Although we paid for her we don't want to 'sell' her. The right forever home, where she won't be passed on again is far more important than the money. She desperately needs a new mummy and daddy, that's the main thing. It's breaking my heart. {cry} x

Victoria I have sent you a message here xxxx
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

)c(
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have not posted as not a lot of room and quite a distance away . Wish I could help you , but I am sure the northern part of DTL will sort this problem out for you .
Hoping all ends well for you and chocks.
Bob
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

Hello EVERYONE

I am sooo sorry I haven't replied to all you truly lovely Down The Laners. Thank you ALL for the various advice, offers of help to rehome and some to look after them temporarily. It was all very much taken on board and appreciated greatly.

I was unfortunately called away, very suddenly, to look after my sick Mum. But she is now well and here I am, back in the world of Hens v Rats!.....or NOT!

The situation now? Well....while I was away a friend looked after my girls and hey presto, when I came home....not a rat in site. By the third day she couldn't bare looking at the horrible things everywhere anymore, so she decided to take an executive decision to poison them. She managed to get hold of some strong agricultural stuff. 24 hours after putting it down there were a few rats scuttling around and after 48 hours not one to be seen. Incredible. )app(

For the first time in years and years it is such a pleasure to watch those ladies scratching around and taking dust baths without the rats running around between them.

I hate to kill anything at all but I have to say it was the right decision in this instance. I'm also hoping, that because the poison was so strong, the rats will have died reasonably quickly.....fingers crossed.

My landlady?? Well, it turns out that actually she wanted the hens gone too, not just the rats. I think she thought that I wouldn't be able to get rid of the rats, which meant the hens had to go. Now the rats have gone, there isn't any reason she can give me for getting 'rid' of my girls. Hah!!!!!

Thank you again everyone, so much. {hug}

Vicki >mmm<
Appreciate and enjoy what you DO have!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Unfortunately there are times when drastic action is needed. It isn't necessarily what we want to do. I had a similar problem a few years ago and had to resort to poison but it worked.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Perhaps next time your landlady visits you could present her with a box of eggs, and write on each one the name of the hen that made it! Maybe she'll see they are pets not
just commodities.
--Immanuel Kant
motherhen10
Learner Laner

Post by motherhen10 »

Please please have a look at a Grandpas Feeder - this will solve EVERYTHING It is a treadle feeder. A bird needs to be 500 grms in order for it to open, so most bantams are ok, a fat adult rat is 300 grams and will not be able to open the feeder. I promise you - this will solve everything. Tell your landlady and ask her to review it again in 3 months. The rats will not have access to your feed. It costs around £100, but it is the best £100 you will ever spend - I promise!!! Good luck.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Lots of treadle feeders on the market that could really help )t'
This one is a much more affordable option at £29.95
http://www.ukpoultrysupplies.co.uk/prod ... &dyadid=71

I'm so pleased you are now rat free and your hens are still with you )like(
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway