Dry January

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
sandy
Legendary Laner

Dry January

Post by sandy »

Is anyone doing this? So many of my family and friends have, they say it is so difficult. I have had one tin of gin and tonic in three months so I am going the other way and drikning up my wine and baileys I got for christmas )hic(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Dry January

Post by Freeranger »

I wanted to but OH didn't, so we hit on a compromise of minimal booze, which is about a 75% cut on our normal consumption. The hard part for us isn't the booze itself, it's that we've had to change our routine activities that the drink would be a part of. We're both dieting, and this has contributed to a weight loss of about 6lbs in 9 days. I'm hoping that OH will notice a reduction in his blood pressure.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am doing a dry January and so far, so good. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I haven't really missed it yike* Never thought I would say that!

I only intended to do Jan, but must say I will see how I feel at the end of it. I am not sure it hasn't been causing me some issues with my meds. }hairout{ The last 5 days or so has been a big improvement. :?

I just can't seem to do the 'cutting down' thing very well - after one glass I lose my resolve {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Freeranger wrote:..... The hard part for us isn't the booze itself, it's that we've had to change our routine activities that the drink would be a part of. We're both dieting, and this has contributed to a weight loss of about 6lbs in 9 days. I'm hoping that OH will notice a reduction in his blood pressure.

Well I'm TT and go to pub music sessions and drink J2O. I suspect that wouldn't help the dieting, and it may be harder if you are already going with friends who expect you to 'buy your round', my drink or 2 last the evening.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Since I started taking a myriad of pills for my fibro I have cut down on my drinking. In fact, I now rarely have a drink and don't miss it at all - younger me would have been horrified to know that I would be nigh on tea total in my mid forties!! I had a glass of champagne on Christmas morning and didn't even manage half a glass - what's going on there?! I did, however, manage to drink a fair bit of Baileys over ice but I don't really count that as booze! I know a few people doing dry January and you would have thought they were missing a limb - oh the drama! Drives me mad!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

My dry Jan lasted until around 1400hrs on New Year ’s Day… not bad going that. I’m kinda proud of my achievement.
Bah Humbug
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

)t' Hair of the dog or was 14h00 when the hangover had gone? Blimey, my hangovers would last days now!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a relative with a drink problem, though he doesn't see it as a problem. I can see it going horribly wrong but not my place to say anything. Judging by the amount of beer cans and wine bottles put out for recycling every two weeks, I suspect a lot of people are living in denial. I don't think I will be cutting down on my one bottle of wine and a four pack of cider per month.
Ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

So, is anybody doing Dry January this year?? We are, 2 days down 29 to go!!!!!! We managed it 2 years ago & last year did about 2 weeks. We are determined to do it this year as we've gone off the rails a bit lately with drink (not massive amounts) mainly due to a lot of stress with Hubby's Mum. Stress is no excuse & doesn't make you feel any better in the mornings. I am all too aware of the demons of drink, my sister was an alcoholic & died at the age of 35 leaving two daughters aged 9 & 6.
Good luck to anyone else who is doing it!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I certainly drank too much over Christmas and new year , but only had a thimble full of mulled wine on New Year’s Day. Since then , (1 whole day hahaha) nothing. I am really going to try to get out of the habit of having wine in the evenings. I do find it helps me relax, so need to find a substitute.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I can count on one hand how many alcoholic drinks in a year, so not really an issue for me.

p.penn wrote:I do find it helps me relax, so need to find a substitute

chocolate? Probably not the best advice for those wanting to shed a few pounds as well LOL
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl}
Helen xx

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I found a drink some years ago that I like and I don't feel ill the next day. Bacardi and coke, which I can and occasionally do have a good drink of, NY eve being one of those times. We can all go for months without drinking anything though which has to be good.
wendy

Post by wendy »

NO. might have the strength to do dry February, But January out of the question.
)grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just no-one dare try to take away my tea.

I did try to give up tea & coffee about 35 years ago. Got down to 1 cup a day (headaches if less), then we went on holiday - and what was the first thing we were offered! Good intentions out of the window in favour of 'well it doesn't seem to do any harm' and 'a little of what you fancy does you good'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire