Septic Tanks

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Septic Tanks

Post by Freeranger »

We have a very sluggish outlet from the bath, which is obviously a bit blocked. We're on a septic tank so can't use bleach or drain cleaner. Does anyone have any suggestions, please, about what would do the job safely? Can we use borax? Thanks for any advice.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Septic Tanks

Post by lancashire lass »

I don't know from personal experience but I seem to remember someone mentioned they used sodium bicarb and vinegar to clean sinks and toilets.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Septic Tank

Post by jemberelli »

At our last place we had a tank and I bough some eco sachets off the internet that you put in the loo once a month. It gave the good bacteria a boost and kept things 'moving'! I can't answer the vinegar/borax question but will try to find which sachets they were.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I think they were called bio. Active (Hyphen between the words, no full stop or A) They have them on eeebayyy. Stick on in the loo on a night once a month and flush next morning (or whenever!)
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

there is something called Drainzyme which is enzyme based & ok for septic tanks,
but its really something to use regularly & may not be strong enough to clear a
blockage. I tried the vinegar & bicarb thing, helped a bit, I've now bought a sink Wizard
drain clog tool which is basically a long wire thing with brushes on the end! Looks
perfect but we havent tried it yet.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It may be the tank that is full. When was it last emptied?
If the surface water drains into it all this rain won't have helped either.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

t's only the bath, so I am pretty sure the tank's not full, Mo.

Thanks, all for the suggestions.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I would check the tank, FR. My thinking is that the volume of water from the bath is far greater than say from a shower or wash basin. The shower or wash basin may not show a blockage because of this.

Have you tried using rods to clear?

You may not like this suggestion, but I was told that if you put, say, road kills in the tank it helps to keep the bacteria right..........I am running away now.........
manda

Post by manda »

I use bleach in our toilets etc. You can use it without problems - ours actually has on the side of the bottle that it's OK for Septic Tanks...you can use it in moderate amounts without any probs....but you need to be really careful about drain cleaners because even a teaspoon of the wrong one can completely undo the balance
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Sorry folks - I didn't see the last couple of posts. Our shower is over the bath, so I still think the tank and all else is OK.

Road-kill? That's an interesting idea. Maybe if I stuffed it down the bath outlet.....

In this country, there isn't too much info on the bottles, probably because it's still only a small proportion of properties. We do use a bit of disinfectant, but to clear a blockage it would have to be quite a lot and - as you say - it needs to be the right one.

A plunger and a prod with rods has improved it but not completely, so might give the enzymes a go. Thanks for all suggestions.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Anything worked yet, FR? Are you unblocked?
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

A combination of eco soapy water and plunger has left us vastly improved, thanks, Gwen. I wasn't strong enough at a stretch to make a difference, but OH improved it a lot. Now for regular enzymes to finish the job. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.