Climber advice please

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Climber advice please

Post by jemberelli »

We have a slatted fence at the bottom of the garden. The other side is a path that is used by the whole row of houses for access to the back gardens, to put bins out etc. The openness of the fence affords little privacy and the puppy goes beserk everytime anyone walks past.

I was thinking of growing something up the fence to give us more privacy and also as it would be cheaper than buying planks to fill the gaps! I have looked on the internet for plants that fulfil my criteria but just wondered if any of the experts down The Lane might have some good advice!

Criteria and conditions:
Fairly fast growing but not too bonkers like wisteria!
Possibility to grow in containers (long wooden trough-like planter) but can buy something more suitable if necessary(under the bark/weed surpressant appears to be hardcore)
The fence gets sun most of the day
Would prefer evergreen so that there is still privacy in the winter months
No preference re flowers/berries/scent as long as it is quite 'pretty' as there is a lot of fence!

Is it possible to find something that covers all of the above or is it pie in the sky thinking? Thank you in advance )t'

Below is pic of the fence!

No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Climber advice please

Post by KarenE »

Hi Jemberelli

What about honeysuckle? I'm not sure about the container part, but it would cover the fence, is evergreen and would give you lovely scented flowers. You'll need to keep it controlled but pruning doesn't seem to do too much harm. I've got 2 honeysuckles and they're both lovely

I've also got an evergreen clematis (I think it's a clematis) - a quick google shows there is quite a variety. I'm not sure what they are like in containers

There's always ivy although personally I wouldn't, it could ruin your fence and again would need very very careful controlling. It might be less aggressive in a container.

You could always go slightly bonkers and grow rasperry canes or vines up there. Again they wouldn't be much good for winter but you'd get cover and fruit over summer!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks for your reply Karen! I have a honeysuckle on a different fence that was there when we moved in, worth thinking about. Ivy is a no no - like you say it can damage the fence and in a previous property it was the bane of my life! }hairout{ Will check out which clematis might work in containers.
Thanks again {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I love Jasmin and the perfume of some is to die for. Does it have to be climbers, what about some shrubs?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Clematis montana (comes in white and pink pale or dark). Not evergreen and fairly fast growing, can clog the gutters and get under the roof tiles - but not if you grow it up a fence. Small flowers, I think it's beautiful in Spring when covered in them. In winter the tangle of twigs will break up the view between the slats.
I made the mistake of reading that it didn't need to be pruned until it had reached the desired size - so I left it a few years. Then found it hard to tell what I could cut without killing bits I wanted to keep.
Winter Jasmine has yellow flowers in winter. That is another that will grow out quite a long way if you let it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you ladies! Plenty of food for thought there. I remember now why I had discounted honeysuckle - we have a puppy who likes to eat things in the garden and honeysuckle is poisonous to dogs! Yet another thing to factor in! I do like the sound of the jasmine - I bought 2 in the sale last year but they didn't get seen to and died a sad death!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Winter jasmine roots easily. One wall is covered by some that came from cuttings - someone brought a dozen that had rooted under her plant to playgroup - we shared them out and mine 3 spread like fury.
So if you are anywhere near Kelsall (between Chester & Northwich) give me a shout and come and grub for some. (Not looked but I bet there are some)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Mo, if ever we're up that way I shall let you know!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Passionflower. I don't know if it's evergreen but as Mo says, the branches would probably still screen. Plus you get the lovely fruits.

Virginia creeper is gorgeous in the autumn and would easily cover your fence, but it does die back at winter and until its established with a good branch network it probably wouldn't cover the gaps.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

)t' Thanks Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

another one is Ceanothus. Evergreen, pretty blue flowers in spring, pretty fast
growing & dense, but I dont know how well it would grow in a container.
Another alternative might be bamboo or reed screening as quick fix!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Kitla )t'
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Whatever you plant Jem is going to take a year or two to get established and achieve what you want. The only one that would do the job at speed is the Russian Vine!!!!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Haha, that's true - it would be a full time job keeping it under control!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh don't go near Russian Vine! That killed off a huge Ceanothus in our garden, it completely covered it, plus the building that is now the chicken coop - we didn't even know we had it!

Ceanothus - californian lilac - is a beautiful plant. The bees adore it. We lost ours (as above) and it had grown huge, more like a tree than a bush but there are different types I think, and according to the RHS it can be grown as a climber. I'm not sure it would take well to a container though.

Good advice on climbers here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=380
Karen