Home made washing detergent!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Home made washing detergent!

Post by KathJ »

Does anyone make their own washing detergent? I've been thinking about doing this (along with other cleaning products) from an environmental point and also to try and reduce the chemicals on my skin which is sensitive. I've looked at some articles online and there seems to be a number of methods and ingredients for powder or liquid. I wondered if anyone had any success doing this themselves and could offer any tips? )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Home made washing detergent!

Post by KathJ »

Oh, one more thing. I also read you can use white wine vinegar instead of fabric conditioner has anyone tried this?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I do. Haven't bought any laundry detergent for a few years now :)

I use a really super simple recipe.
It's basically this.
http://littlecottagecomforts.blogspot.c ... hrift.html

I don't use borax, just soda crystals, soap and a lot of water.
I do add a bottle of fabric conditioner to the bucket these days though, but for the first year or 2 I just relied on the soap smell.

Make up a bucketful 2 or 3 times a year. Sometimes it's more solid than others, not enough water is my guess, but it still works ok.

Commonly referred to as "cow snot". :)

There's a thread on this forum somewhere, that got me to try it, and with the silly laundry liquid prices these days, I've stuck with it.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Hedgehugger, think I'll have a go at this it looks quite easy. What do you store it in? Is it too gloopy to pour?
Kath xx

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I think it's a 10 litre bucket.
It had bird seed in it with a resealable lid (similar to a huge paint bucket). I did think about decanting it into a laundry liquid bottle originally, but never got around to it. I do have some of those plastic laundry dosers, like a small plastic cup. Just fill one of those, bung it in the machine and that's it.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Well I took the plunge and made my first batch yesterday. It was pretty straightforward and took about half an hour, the time consuming part was grating the soap >dum< I was a bit conserned last night as it was still quite liquid but this morning it's gone more gloopy although still a bit runny underneath. I suppose it may carry on solidifying, smells lovely though as I put some essential oils in )like( I suppose the proof is in the pudding so my bedding is now having a 'natural' wash and I've also made some fabric rinse using white vinegar (I hate the smell of fabric conditioner). Can't wait to get them out on the line, it's a beautiful clear, frosty morning here this morning just the day for hanging out washing >mmm<
Kath xx

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Yay! )t'

I think my bucketful could do with a big stir/mix around. It's a big lump of goo atm :)
I just scrape what I need out. Sometimes I get brave and sink my hands in and squish it all around. Bit cold in the kitchen for that though, at the mo'.

I surprised myself by sticking with making my own these past few years, but the thought of spending 4 or 5 quid on some washing stuff really hurts my pockets :P
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I've done a couple of loads now and I'm really pleased with the results. Many thanks for the details Hedgehugger )like( I had a very productive day yesterday and in an attempt to go chemical free I also made some cleaning products for the home. I was most impressed when I'd cleaned the bath with bicard as there were some marks that no bought bathroom cleaner would shift including bleach but the bicard worked a treat. Going to turn by hand to dishwasher detergent when my current stock of tablets and rinse aid run out as they cost a fortune to buy. There are loads of tips online once you start to look, I'm really getting into this now )like(
Kath xx

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I've really gone the whole hog now with trying to go chemical free. Not only with my cleaning products but also with my toiletries and cosmetics where possible. I've made my own make up remover with olive oil and witch hazel which is brilliant and costs pennies, I've made my own hand wash and haispray. Some things haven't been so sucessfull doing it DIY like body wash as I couldn't get the lather but I've been purchasing organic and natural where I can which can be a bit more expensive but I'm saving on other things so hopefully it'll balance out. And it's bound to be better for my skin too! It's been great parring down, throwing away things that I've had in the cupboard for years and never used and only keeping the bare minimum. I'm determined not to stock up on things that I never use as I used to in the past. I feel like it's a clean start all round )t'
Kath xx

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well done. My sister's son suffered with bad asthma, until she threw out all chemical cleaners & used only microfiber cloths & bleach in her house, he improved straight away. I use the method cleaners, but am starting to wonder about some of the ingredients. I'd love to see the recipes for some of your success stories.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Kitla, oh I could bore you for weeks with some of these. I've been dead quiet at work over the past couple of months so I've been doing loads of internet research (hope they don't start to check our internet useage yike* ). Some of the ingredients have cost a bit to buy up front but I think they'll last for ages as you don't use much.
The washing degergent I used from Hedgehugger's previous post. It works great, the receipe made two mealworm sized bucket fulls and one bucket did 15 loads. I think the two buckets cost about £5/£6 to make but I've still got some of the ingredients left for the next load. I also use white vinegar with a few drops of essential oils (I use citrus)instead of fabric conditioner and the clothes seem to come out really fresh and smell clean but not artificually fragranced if you know what I mean +f+
Homemade mouthwash is good - a cup of boiled cooled water, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of peppermint oil.
Makeup Remover is brill - 3 Tbsp witch hazel, 2 Tbsp olive oil
Antibac Spray - 1 Cup boiled and cooled water, 1 cup white vinegar, 5 drops orange oil, 3 drops lavender oil, 2 drops eucalyptus oil, 2 drops tea tree oil - combine in spray bottle
Hairspray - 1 cup boiled, cooled water, 4 tsp sugar, 6-8 drops essential oil - disolve sugar in boiling water leave to cool and add oils and pour into spray bottle.
There's some of my successes so far )t' I've found Wilko's the best place for white vinegar, barcarb and soda crystals, some of the oils I've bought online.
I've plenty more if you're looking for anything specific!
Kath xx