The Real Marigold Hotel

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

The Real Marigold Hotel

Post by Richard »

I've totally enjoyed watching this short series (and glad they said 'famous people' rather than Celebs).

Also interesting that three of them showed an interest upon moving out there all be it maybe for just a few months a year.

I could certainly see it with Jan Leaming, her son's in Australia, she's on her own and would appear not to have any close relationships, friendly or otherwise, searching for 'an answer'.

Not that I would do it, but I did look at what the cost of it would be in moving to Kathmandu.

This 5 bedroom house - £254 per month, in a fairly posh part and on the edge of the busy busy City.
A full time Cook or Cleaner of both would cost around £40 - £50 per month each in wages and food is cheap.

http://nepalhomesearch.com/listing-house-on-rent-at-grande-villa-dhapasi-5738.html

A two bedroom would be half that cost. Even less the further out you go.

I repeat, not even starting to think about it, but you can see the attraction to many...especially old hippies !!!!!!#

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: The Real Marigold Hotel

Post by jemberelli »

We thoroughly enjoyed the series and, like you, found it very interesting. I can certainly see Jan Leeming making the move for a number of months per year but it was Bobby George who surprised me! So keen he even got his wife to come over & see if she could live there. Fantastic series, would be great to do a small follow-up if any of them do go for it (because I am nosey!!).
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've just watched the first two episodes, too late to start the third, I'll save that for another day. This is the kind of reality show I can watch. All the characters are lovely, it's a fabulous insight of life in India. Miriam makes me laugh, Wayne is so sweet, and Jan is lovely, it's great how they all get on with each other.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have watched the third episode, a great ending. I have really enjoyed this and thank you to Richard for bringing it to my attention. It was a good way to present a travel programme with human interest thrown in. I'm glad that animal slaughter was limited to the first ten minutes, I had to look away and almost switched off. But I stuck with it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have no desire to go to India, but I am interested in it because my brother lived in Mumbai for 17 years. He died there and was cremated on an open fire, lit by his wife, such is the tradition.

I hope they do a follow up, or another travel programme in a different place, with people of a more mature age. They were such good fun, far better than the regular reality programmes.

Ilona
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Meanqueen wrote:my brother lived in Mumbai for 17 years. He died there and was cremated on an open fire, lit by his wife, such is the tradition.
Ilona

We visited the burning ghats when we lived in Delhi. It does make us westerns feel a bit uneasy at first. Then I got to thinking that the way it is up to the family to make all the funeral arrangements, including washing the body in the river and lighting the funeral pyre is perhaps better than the rather sanitised funerals we prefer in this country where we delegate the arrangements to a funeral director. Perhaps it gives a better sense of closure.

Meanqueen wrote:I hope they do a follow up, or another travel programme in a different place, with people of a more mature age. They were such good fun, far better than the regular reality programmes. Ilona

Yes, I enjoyed that aspect of the programme. So unlike the self-promoting people that go on shows such as Big Brother. The only criticism I would make is that the programme made it out that moving to India would be straightforward. I am afraid it would be a pretty large challenge, India is so blogged down with petty rules and regulations, even getting a visa is a labour of love.
Michael