Dunnocks - Respect !!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Dunnocks - Respect !!

Post by Richard »

Seems to me the Dunnock is a bird seldom spoken about and to some, mistaken for a Sparrow.

I love watching them picking up the pieces under the bird tables, being seen off by the occasional bossy Robin or Magpie only to return as soon as there backs are turned.

Got some half decent pictures of one yesterday and getting in close, they really are not only great self sufficient characters, but very beautiful as well.

[center]Image

Image[/center]

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Dunnocks - Respect !!

Post by kitla »

lovely pictures Richard! I'd barely heard of Dunnocks until I heard a beautiful
birdsong in our little tree & there was only a little "sparrow" in there. I often
see them now, but only when I hear them sing.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

I love the little birds.
Used to be so lovely to sit outside and watch them busying themselves under the bushes.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

One of our dunnocks is a real character. Whenever the sparrowhawk flies over all the birds leave. He's always the first one back again and often just sits in the shrub near our back door and has a little sing.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I had a window feeder attached to the shed window, with a table just underneath. The Dunnock would give his reflection a right telling off and battering :)
Quite territorial when they want to be :)
Certainly a bird with character )t'
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

When in our last but one house which was in the middle of a town we used to have Dunnocks and they are really very lovely little birds and always seem to be very busy too.

Since moving from there though I haven't seen one either in our last house or here.

Am I right in saying they are ground feeders, Richard? Seem to remember that bit of info from somewhere. I know they always seemed to be on the ground when around the house.