Ideas please, for house clearance

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Ideas please, for house clearance

Post by Freeranger »

A relative died recently, and the next task is to clear the house of a lady who was a natural home-maker, but of the 80s era, Laura Ashley sort of style. The idea of it all going to a low-end house-clearance is too upsetting for the family, and they want it all to go to places where it would be appreciated. The trouble is that it is all a bit unfashionable. Lovely satinwood furniture, chintzy but lined curtains, tasteful ornaments and prints, and no end of clothes, shoes, handbags and cosmetics.There are high quality beds and bedding not even opened, new towels & linens etc. Can anyone suggest anything please? (it's NE England).
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Ideas please, for house clearance

Post by jemberelli »

It may be worth asking the local refuges whether they have anyone due to leave that might require furniture etc. They won't have space to store it but if the timing is right they might have someone ready to move on. I don't know where abouts in the NE you mean but have a look at Harbour's website to see if they cover your area (http://www.myharbour.org.uk).
Alternatively, I think the British Heart Foundation take furniture but am not sure. Sorry you have to go through this, it must be very hard {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There is also Freecycle - obviously you give it Free, and some things are much in demand (e.g. a telegraph pole that had been in my orchard getting overgrown), other not so much. Then you have to arrange collection times to suit and hope the person turns up.
Any upholstered furniture without modern fireproof labels can go straight to the tip.
When I cleared a house in Beverley the local estate agent came to value the house but also ran an auction, and told us what would sell - everything except the carpet did well, and there is a shop called Sellit & Soon, who also will come and value stuff, and sell it on commission.

Also charity shops for the ornaments.

It depends if the family want cash for the items, or just to see them used.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I would sort it into "piles". All items which have a monetary value and either get a local auction house to have a look or put on sites like gumtree, preloved. Items which are not worth much but too good to put on a recycling site. These items could be a refuge, charity shop, homeless charity. Other is either skip or a recycling site. You would be amazed what some people take, I know I was when I started using recycling sites many years ago.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

When I cleared Mum's place out I contacted Real Aid. They waited until we had taken anything we wanted and did all the rest. I took clothes to the Samaritans charity shop but the rest of her stuff either went into their shop, into their rehoming system for those escaping abuse or homelessness or a very few items went into recycling.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mo - I have used Sellit and Soon in Beverley in the past.

Bea - where is Real Aid, please? I know I can google it, but am asking you first.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Real Aid's local base is in Tickton but they have a huge shop in Bridlington almost opposite the road upon which sits the Police Station. I think they have another little place that does mainly clothes in the Old Town.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Bea, didn't know about the Tickton depot, just up the road from us!
manda

Post by manda »

Maybe some of the Age UK / Age Concern could advise
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for your suggestions.The items were separated and sent to different auction rooms, with a few items going to selected charities.