For Ilona - your 1939 House blog and piccies

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

For Ilona - your 1939 House blog and piccies

Post by Spreckly »

Ilona - I have just discovered your blog on the 1939 house. Really enjoyed the pictures, you have been very busy. My goodness, we still have quite a lot of 1930's stuff in our home, my parents sideboard and dining chairs, three older Windsor chairs, my parents' bedroom suite - though bed and wardrobe are missing, woodworm in the latter. I'm sure DTL's would be interested in the blog, which I was surprised to find as it went back to 2013.

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: For Ilona - your 1939 House blog and piccies

Post by KathJ »

I'd love to see the blog, is it possible to get the web address? We have a 1930's house and love the furniture of the period. Unfortunately we don't have too much but we have a lovely walnut sideboard bought from an antiques fayre and quite a few ornaments from the time.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hiya Spreckly and Kath.
Joanna lives in a 1939 house in my village. She is a smashing lady, in her late thirties at a guess, and lives her life in the 1940's. She wears the clothes, rides a bike, and washes on a Monday, in a dolly tub, and grows her veg in the back garden, and her lavvy is outside. As well as visiting in the daytime to take the photo's, I paid her a visit one night to give her a book. She invited me in for a drink. It was very cozy with the oil lamps. Here are the links to my posts.

http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspo ... use_2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspo ... -pics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspo ... hotos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspo ... hotos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry I haven't shortened the links, it's late and I am tired. If you click on the pictures they will enlarge in a slide show.

Ilona

PS. My blog is 8 years old tomorrow. Happy Birthday blog.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Many Happy Returns to Ilona's blog.

Thanks so much for putting the links on, Ilona.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Interesting - my parents set up home about that time so I recognised a lot of the stuff. The glass lamp shade - my parents had a bowl type that hung from 3 chains and I liked it so 2 of me rooms have similar bought from jumble sales (and more in the loft!)
As for the outside loo with lagging on all the pipes, I remember that from a terrace house that I rented with a friend in 1967 (my first job). It was 2 up, 2 down and 1 outside. The loo pipes froze so the landlord provided a night light (we never called them tea lights back them) which kept it just warm enough. That house had other oddities too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)like( I enjoyed that. I can almost relate - my grandmother and her sister (both widowed) sold their houses and bought a terraced house in the 1960s and furnished it between them from their old houses - it was like stepping back into time. The original fireplace surround (glazed tile) was there (but with a gas fire fitted - my grandmother insisted on it) and looked almost exactly like the one in the photo. Even with the settee there (which could be pulled out and the back rest pushed back to make a bed) - it could have been a photo taken in their house! I think the wall paper was like something from the 1940s/50s as they never had anything else done to the house.

Many other features are very similar - the outside loo at the bottom of the yard was still there and in working order even though one half of the bedrooms had been converted into a bathroom. The kitchen still had a pantry and stone sink, with a fire place in the corner with a back boiler for hot water and a clothes drier hanging from the ceiling. My grandmother had an electric washing tub (open at the top with a paddle inside) and also a hand cranked mangle. There was a clock like the ones you posted (set in a domed wooden shape with curved sloping sides to a base) and in working order. Sadly, most of it ended up on the tip when my (great) aunt had to be moved into a care home (dementia) and my grandmother was too frail to live on her own and moved in with her daughter taking just her personal memorabilia. My mother managed to rescue the treadle sewing machine and a small table which I have now. As for the house, it was sold cheap and everything ripped out and modernised (badly needed rewiring - bakelite switches and cables were lined with material), central heating, new kitchen, fire places knocked down.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

That was fascinating - like my Nanna's house, but we still have some things like a mangle, clothes airer and Sheila's Maid. Thank goodness for the indoor loo! (and soft paper)

Ilona, you don't look a bit like I'd imagined!
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

It's so sad how so much of this stuff got skipped and nobody wanted it when houses were modernised. My nan (who's 98 now!) always wanted to be 'modern' and she got rid of all the 1930's/40's and 50's stuff that I would love to have now. But I suppose you can understand people wanting the latest labour saving innovations!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I saw Joanna the 1940's lady, on her bike the other day. None of the lycra that they wear today, a thick tweedy coat, woolly hat, knitted gloves and clumpy shoes. Looked the part to go with her house.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I saw Joanna on Thursday. She does tours of her house which last about two hours, tea included. She makes a small charge, and I have her mobile phone number if anyone wants to visit. She doesn't have a land line, and the signal to her mobile is rubbish, so text is best. Let me know if you are interested. It's in a village near Scunthorpe.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for the info Ilona.

We used to caravan rally on the old airfield at Metheringham each year, but this has now finished. Sad really. However, if we are in Lincolnshire, we will remember the 1930's house. A few of the items in it are in use in my house also! They include the glass lampshade (was my mil's), ironing board (my Grandmother's), enamel bowls - were in the loft here. i have furniture from the 1930's, belonged to my parents, two Edwardian desks, two Victorian Windsor chairs (with woodworm holes), and a large Windsor chair belonging to my great grandfather and a Victorian card table. A 1700's grandfather clock, a 1900 Venetian Regulator clock and two other old wall clocks. We love old, solid furniture.

Whilst at Metheringham one year, we visited Mrs Smith's Cottage, which was nearby, can't remember the name of the village though. That is amazing. On our visit I was just about to put my handbag on the table, and the lady in attendance nearly jumped down my throat! I expect the table had had much more hammering than a leather handbag!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Joanna's story is in the Yorkshire Post

look here

Also in the Daily Mail.

look here

She is getting a lot of media attention at the moment and struggling to cope with it. A friend is helping her sort it all out.

Ilona
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

Saw Joanna tonight on calendar news, thought it was great. Loved the house and her lifestyle.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Joanna was on the Look North News last night as well.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Really is a nice read that one.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome