What can I plant?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

What can I plant?

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello. I am in the process of tidying up my raised beds, removing the pallets surrounding them and replacing with bricks. I am making them slightly smaller as well. I am not growing veg this year but want to put in flowers and small shrubs. I have a massive slug problem here, so can anyone tell me what I should grow that slugs don't eat. Don't want to spend lots of money, we have a few garden centre's round here. I don't like plants that die back in the winter, and keep their greenery all year round. Any suggestions?
Ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: What can I plant?

Post by lancashire lass »

heathers and small conifers?

EDIT - my cousin, not a gardener by heart, had a beautiful bed with the dwarf like conifer type shrubs (can't be sure what they were) There was weed suppressant membrane and bark chippings on top which made it look more natural
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks. I've got one bed ready now and will begin planting when this snow has passed over.
Ilona
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Lavender? Smells great, looks great, brilliant for pollinators. Should do well in a raised bed too.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Skimmia, Hellebores, Sarcococca hookeriana, Ceanothus blue sapphire, evergreen low growing Ceanothus. These are just a few, all of which I will be planting in my new garden. Just go along to a local garden centre and browse.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you granny, I have made a note of those. We have a small family run garden centre, I will go and ask there.
Ilona
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I could go on forever but that is just a few I have waiting to be planted. I have a lovely small family run nursery just up the road from me. Unfortunately there aren't enough left now....all these huge places which sell everything from Persil to Persicaria....