For Ilona - your 1939 House blog and piccies

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: For Ilona - your 1939 House blog and piccies

Post by Meanqueen »

Just found the 1939 house facebook page. Lots more pictures on it.

And more on this site. look here

Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Ilona - thank you so much for putting the links on. In the classic caravan club, we have a member who is putting his house back to the (I think), 1950's.

The old hairbrushes and dressing table sets - I use my Grandmother's glass sets, and have my Mother's hairbrush and mirror, though I don't use the hairbrush, but the mirror and glass sets, plus mats crocheted by my Mother prior to her 1937 marriage are in use. As I have said before, I have my parents tall boy and dressing table in our bedroom, their sideboard and dining chairs in our living room, and, until the dog wee'd on it on her first morning with us, a rag rug. We have my Grandfather's old high backed Windsor chair in the living room, which we use as a dining chair, my grannie's old shawl is draped over the back, and I use it as knee cover when it is chilly. In the third bedroom which is our study, we have my Mother's Edwardian desk, and OH's Grandfather's desk - brilliant for storing paperwork in. We sport an old solid oak sideboard in the front room, and my Grandmother's Edwardian card table, which opens out, now covered in family photos.

After watching Joanna's video a couple of days since, all I could think was how very cosy her living room is.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A lot of family history there.
I must admit to being pleased when charity shops yielded glass bowl lampshades (clear /white /orange flecks) like we had, jelly dishes like my grandma had (glass bowls on a leg) etc.
I now have (but rarely use) my mother's 2 tier cake stand (chrome with 2 octagonal 'plates') and Jim's grandmother's glass ones with legs. Memories of many family feast / groaning table there.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

These old items last and last!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Her whole house is cosy and warm, with the range in the kitchen and the open fire in the front room. It is very gloomy though, not much natural light coming in.

I have invited her to come to my house and have a look at the internet to see what is out there about her house. She never gets to see it.
Ilona