Coffee grounds

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
vegemum
Learner Laner

Coffee grounds

Post by vegemum »

Hello, we have just collected a large bag of coffee grounds from our local Costa and hope to use them on our allotment. Has anyone else tried them on their allotment or vegetable plot, and were they successful. I understand they are good for putting in the compost bin, for improving the general soil and may be useful for detering slugs. Thanks.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Coffee grounds

Post by lancashire lass »

Used coffee grounds still contain traces of caffeine which has an unpleasant effect on slugs and kills them. Put round plants, the grounds can act as both a mulch (reduce water loss from soil surface in summer, and depending on depth, prevent some weed seeds from germinating) Coffee grounds do take a while to compost down so mix it well with green stuff but if you have a large bag and can get hold of more, the slug & snail repellant and mulching would be a better use )t'
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

When I was putting coffee grounds in my composter, amazing things were happening with the worms. I think I have worms that run on caffeine :)

I went from a slow activating big plastic dalek to a smooth running worm factory. I put it down 100% to the coffee grounds.
We do drink a lot of coffee, minimum of 10 cups a day between us, so a lot of grounds produced.

Coffee Grounds, worms and compost heaps love them. )t'
vegemum
Learner Laner

Post by vegemum »

Thanks for your advice. I have great hopes for this growing season and will certainly put plenty of grounds in my various compost bins.