Frog spawn thread

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Frog spawn thread

Post by fabindia »

The pond at the bottom of my garden is less than two years old, so, as I expected, I didn't get any frog spawn last year. I know there are frogs about as I have spotted the odd one pretty regularly, so I am hopeful for this year.

We all know how mild this winter has been and also how Spring seems to start in the south and work its way north.

So here's the Down the Lane version of "Spring Watch"; post here as soon as you spot frog spawn and we can see if we can get a picture of how Spring is progressing.
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Frog spawn thread

Post by Richard »

Great idea.

Thanks )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

there are a lot of Puddles about where we are off caravanning next time and I was thinking of taking the girls out with their wellies to have a look for spawn.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

There is a house with a good size pond in the front garden in our village. Last year I was watching the frog spawn swimming about every time I passed. At least I thought it was frog spawn, black spots with wavy tails. Hoping I would see them change into little froglets, but nothing happened. They got less and less, but no frogs. Now I wonder if they were something else.

I have frogs in my back garden but no pond. I think they come from the neighbours garden at the back.

Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

Slightly away from the Spawn, but so pleased to see this sign near Sevenoaks today.

There's a few on the Romney Marshes as well.

[center]Image[/center]

Having Frog Spawn and then reproducing is such an essential part of our garden and natural habitat futures.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Too cold this week; in parts of the country I would guess.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Spotted frogspawn in our pond this morning 17th March 2016.

We are in County Durham, so I would have expected others in the warmer south to have spotted before now.

There is an online animated map showing sightings of various Spring related events at http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/map/current.htm?rsid=172&reid=12&ry=2016&rs=S

It's quite interesting.
Michael
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's good news, I haven't seen any in my little pond but someone said they'd seen some in a pond not far away from here.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm not quite so far north so I'll go and have a peer into our pond later.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Even more spawn today. Should have a lot of tadpoles soon. :-D
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Update: :-D

Lots of little frogs.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Not seen any spawn on our village pond for a couple of years now. My son who lives in a town and has a small pond plays host to frogs which seem to come from nowhere. One year he caught several and we brought them to the village pond in a bucket (with lid). I think possibly the moorhens and ducks have eaten the spawn in its early stages.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

No frogspawn for us this year. Don't think the chickens have helped, as last year tadpoles seemed to be a delicacy along with the odd goldfish!
The female frogs turned up, 2 or 3, but no males seemed to come calling.

The Toads on the other hand have produced lots of strings, noticed them today, but they must be a few days old due to sediment having settled on them.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

It seems extremely late but the weather and temperature has been fluctuating wildly here this year and on our walk this morning we came across some freshly produced frog spawn. Not sure if it will develop but I was tempted to collect some and try to raise it at home before releasing the frogs back in the wild, any thoughts??
"Not all those who wander are lost"