Am I feeding my chickens correctly?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Taunton52
Learner Laner

Am I feeding my chickens correctly?

Post by Taunton52 »

Hi

I've had chickens for a few years and they appear healthy and have lovely red combs but have periods of having upset tummy's.
I de-worm them on a regular basis but am I giving them a balanced diet. I'd be really grateful for some help. In the morning I give them layers mash with meal worms and throw mixed corn, meal worms and greens into their coup. Evening I usually give them layers mash made into a porridge mixed with sweetcorn and meal worms. At the moment they are out probably about twice a week for a run. The greens I give them vary from spring greens, cabbage, broccoli, spinach and lettuce. They like grapes and blueberries but they are given as a treat.

I'd be really grateful for any help.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Am I feeding my chickens correctly?

Post by sandy »

Hello )wav(
I wouldn't give them any treats until later in the evening, just the mash down all day and just a few treats later on when they have eaten the food that is good for them.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I give mash & veg in the morning, then layers pellets available all day & a handful of corn and mealworms scattered before bed. A hopper full of pellets is a good way to go, then they can choose how much they need each day. Lettuce apparently can give them the runs so maybe best to avoid too much of that, and too much corn can make them fat which is not good for their health, so its best to go easy on that.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hi Kitla,

The mealworms and corn are both quite high protein foods, so I'd personally cut that down a bit - not sure about tummies but it isn't as balanced as you're looking for and could affect laying. The vitamins could come from other chopped veg and peelings if you have leftovers, and the odd bit of rice or pasta.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

What are you worming them with, and how often do you do it?

As already said, pellets or mash are their complete diet, the corn especially is a treat. Perhaps cut down on the greens a bit, especially the lettuce, and see if that helps?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Taunton52
Learner Laner

Post by Taunton52 »

Thank you for the advice. I'll certainly cut down on the lettuce.

I use Flubenvet to de worm according to the instructions.

What other veg do people give their chickens. I've tried potato peelings lightly steamed and they have looked at me as if I've gone mad. They only seem to like green veg
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sounds like you're doing the right things. It may be the lettuce that's sending them squiffy, if they get it a lot.

Greens are okay, like everything in moderation. Potato peelings I think are a no, and they generally won't eat anything that's bad for them as you've found out! They usually love most veg - sweet corn, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, carrots, peas. They love tomatoes and the acid is good for their crops. Fruit is good too - melon, apples, pears, plums, strawberries, other berries, grapes, raisins. Citrus fruit is a no I think. You could pick dandelion and other weed leaves for them.

They also love bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, noodles etc but they are definitely to be given very infrequently.

As with everything, moderation is the key!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

From reading wartime 'dig for victory' books I think potato is not very digestible. Better if cooked but they still don't get much goodness from it. And if green is bad for man and hen.
Related to deadly nightshade as well as tomato - how strange that some parts of different plants in the same family are edible / poisonous - the little fruits on some potatoes look like toms but are NOT good.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,sardines in tomatoe sauce, meat for a change , raptors .....
Beware that some foods make the eggs taste different (so I am told )
Bob