Is Marigold ill?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Is Marigold ill?

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
I hope you can put my mind at ease or if not a trip to the vets.
Marigold is about three and a half years old and up to now has been fairly healthy, She used to be 2nd in the pecking order but i am sure has dropped down the line.
Over the last few days she has seemed to have slowed up, ie not eating much and i don't think she has laid for a while. Today she is just standing around a lot and not interested in treats (meal worms which she loves).
I have felt her underneath and i don't think it is swollen, her comb is still red and her tail feathers are pointing up.
Am i worrying unnecessarily or is it a trip to the vets on Tuesday.
Amber.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Is Marigold ill?

Post by sandy »

Amber if she is turning her nose up at treats then I would take her to the vets on tuesday. Why on why do they get unwell over the holiday period? It may be nothing, upset tummy or a moult to come , I hope it is {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

Sorry to hear Marigold isn't well. Is her crop okay, and her poos?

If in doubt go to the vets. Hope she's okay
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen and Sandy.
Thank you for the replies.
I think her crop is ok can't feel any lumps. I haven't seen any abnormal poo's but have seen the odd brown feather in the run so maybe she is gearing up for another moult. If that is the case i might keep an eye on her for a couple of days and if i see. The slightest downward turn i will take her to the vets,
Not being very experienced i worry that i might miss something that could be treated if only i pick up on it in time.
Thanks again.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's understandable Amber, we all worry about our girls and it's difficult to tell what's wrong with them most of the time.
Maybe she's revving up for a moult, but keep an eye on her just in case.

Hope she's okay
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How is Marigold Amber?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
She is about the same, having said that she has eaten some banana this morning and her crop looked full before she went to bed last night,
She was standing in the sun this morning with her eyes closed, I can't see her from the house at the moment so she may have gone back into the coop. I am off to work in a bit so will check on her again later this morning.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Just a quick up date on Marigold.
We ended up taking her to the vets this afternoon as she hasn't been improving.
The vet checked her all over, took her temperature which was only slightly raised, listened to her heart and breathing and had a good prod around. He thinks she may have a lower respiratory infection (as he said you could see her chest move when she breathed) her eyes and nose were clear though.
She is in a large dog crate in the spare room now as he said she should be kept away from the others and has given me Doxycycline tablets to put in her water for six days, the trouble is it makes the water quite thick and she is not drinking it.
She has gone to bed now snuggled up in the pet carrier i am hoping she is still with us tomorrow.
Amber.