Rearing chicks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Brommie
Learner Laner

Rearing chicks

Post by Brommie »

I have 2 broody bantams and 2 Rhodes who live in a converted Wendy House with a run. I bought 6 eggs on eBay and gave them 3 each. One is in a nesting box about 2 feet off the ground and the other is sitting on a clutch on the floor of the house. I know to make sure they go out every day for food etc but am worried about when/if the babies are born. Is it ok to leave them all where they are or should they be removed from the house (with mum obviously).
Also do I need to worry about the ones in the nesting box, I'm concerned they may fall out and hurt themselves.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Rearing chicks

Post by kitla »

oh gosh! Did you make a note of the date they started sitting? It takes about 21 days,
so you need to get ready. I dont think chicks are as bouncy as ducklings, you'll need to sort out a safe way for the ones in the nestbox to get up & down & stop them falling.
My experience at letting 2 hens hatch together was that the hens fought viciously & had to be kept well apart for a while, so it would be good for you to prepare for this possibility.
Something like a rabbit hutch/run can be a good place to hatch chickies.
The babies will need chickcrumb, they mustn't eat the layers pellets (too high in calcium) which is another reason to separate them from the other hens. When they are tiny they can easily drown, so it's safest to provide them with a little water dish with pebbles or marbles in.
I hatched a few times, it's very exciting but takes a bit of preparing, do also think about what you will do with any boys.
these are my last 2 hatching diaries, maybe you'll find something useful there.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=50908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=46252&hilit=beany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good luck - and remember to take lots of pics!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Brommie
Learner Laner

Post by Brommie »

Thanks, that's really useful. I'll be fine once they are born, I reared some that were born in an incubator last year, it's the pregnant hens I need help with! Hopefully the chicks will arrive in just over 2 weeks. I'm going to try to borrow a coop or hutch for PomPom and leave Henrietta where she is!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

good luck then! we'd love to hear how they get on & we'd love to see some pics of the little chickies when they come! >eas2<
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Brommie
Learner Laner

Post by Brommie »

Me again,
I have bought a dog crate to put Pompom in and Henrietta is in an old bird cage. Will they still be aggressive when the chicks arrive as we're a bit concerned about whether both will fit in the hen house!
Am I right in thinking that after day 18 we shouldn't take them out to have anything to eat, just leave them in the nest with food and water available?
Also, how long after the chicks are born do we take the mums out for a bit of fresh air? I've also heard about something called a broody poop which I'm not sure about!
Thanks so much for your advice.
I'll happily share pics of the babies (fingers crossed) when I've worked out how!!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm not saying your broodies will definately fight eachother, but it's a risk. My two would scrap after the chicks hatched, maybe they were trying to steal eachothers chicks! Wherever you decide to keep them it's a good idea for them to be in sight of the others as often as poss, it makes it easier when the flock get back together.
Yes at about day 18 or 19 they should be left undisturbed with food & water in reach, it's a crucial time for the heat and humidity to be just right for hatching. When the chicks are hatched the mum's will take them for a walk when they're ready, mine loved having a dustbath after all that sitting still.
If you havent discovered what broody poop is yet, you soon will! sile} As they may only "go" once a day, it's all saved up & concentrated into a huge, VERY smelly poop. A good reason to let them off the nest for a walk every day!
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Well my brodie girl is driving me mad . I have in my possesion 4 chicks -4/5 week old
Not able to go outside yet. My goodness noise they make ,chirping.
Bob