Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by KarenE »

Perhaps it wasn't far enough down for the vet to feel before. Why don't you see if you can get an extra dose of calcium into her too, as it helps the muscles as she tries to expel it? Sardines if no limestone flour, if she's eating

Why flubenvet, out of interest?

>fi< She gets that shell out soon
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi Karen

Just because its 6 months since they were done. And I guess, its that time of year to be thinking of worming...

Further vets appointment for 4.30 this evening.

I just want my little inquisitive girl back on form again - its breaking my heart seeing her like this.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good luck at vets keep is posted. Delicate question but how far did the vet put her finger in her vent? My OLive used to get shell stuck in her and I found if i put my finger in and pushed the shell in a ciruclar motion around the knobbly bit I could get it out. Hope she will be fine >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

She has put a little weight on, but has a temperature. Thought as much as Sunday I saw a couple of tiny bits of green poo. Because of the size, figured it couldn't be the others.

3 injections last night - tylan (second dose), baytril and loxicom. Poo sample sent off. Ive also got some oral baytril, starting tonight.

Is it true that once baytril is given - you can NEVER EVER EAT THE EGGS? No that I know if she will start laying again.

The vet did put her finger a long way up her vent - said she could still feel the shell that she felt on Friday.

Poor wee girl, she was limping badly. I kept her in the house for about an hour after we came home from the vets. She took herself to bed a long time before the others! So I know she is feeling poorly.

This morning, she is still limping (I guess the 2 injections in one leg has caused some bruising). She is eating and drinking.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi 2 weeks not eatimg till out of system .Feed her the eggs do not waste them.
Bob
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Yesterday norming, vet rang with the results of the poo sample - no worms, eggs or other parasites.

I said to her (yet again) that I believed she had got shell stuck and couldn't we do a little procedure to remove it. Her response was "that where it starts getting expensive". Upon checking her at lunchtime, she was a very different chicky - back to herself. Running after me, up and down the garden. Even helped herself to the cucumber I was dousing with AviPro. Same again last night. :-D

This morning, more subdued and her botty was caked in poo.

Follow up appointment with the vet again tonight.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My vet says baytril withdrawal for the rest of the hen's life, which is odd as when I first got it from the same vets, it was a withdrawal period rather than for ever. It's all to do with antibiotic resistance in the human food chain.

Possibly she's shifted the chewed up shell, but had some others backed up behind it so they are on the move now which is perhaps why she's feeling unwell again. I hope everything goes okay at the vets - let us know when you get back >fi<
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

She is more or less back to being a chicken again - scratching with the others.

What the vet felt at the top of her vent 3 visits previous, is still there. She still has a temperature, but has been "discharged".

Her comb and face are bright red, although she is acting "normal". She is alert and will come running when I shout her. She will flap/jump onto my arm, when I ask her to.

I just know something is amiss. She hasn't laid in a fortnight and her poo is still more liquid than solid. I know my little baby and she is "not quite" back to being Marilyn.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Perhaps there's just a fragment left, or maybe it's something else entirely! As long as there's no raging infection that's the main thing and her system can probably fight it off. She may be doing loose poos because she's feeling under the weather, although it's good to her she is back to behaving like a chicken. The redness isn't necessarily a sign of illness, it can also be linked to mood.

You never know, she may even be heading into a little moult. Hope she continues to be okay )t' >fi<
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I wish we were not so far away from one another }hairout{ I long to have a feel of Marilyn sounds just like my Olive. But lets hope Karen's right , but I know what you mean about knowing when something is wrong. Please keep us updated and come on Marilyn, mum has had enough worry >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Ah Sandy.

So update for the weekend. All were at my feet while I was painting the shed - Little Mo has forget-me-not blue tail feathers and Texas has a spot of blue on her comb. Scratching, sunbathing, wandering round - all good.

Monday lunchtime, Marilyn all hunched up, head and tail down - rang vet and got an appointment for first thing Tuesday. Perked up by Monday night.

Tuesday, weight gain, reduction in temperature and the vet said she looked ok - whatever she could feel in her vent was still there. Further week on Baytril.

A decision needs to be made this week, whether to pts, or anaesthetic, xray and a scrape - which the vet is reluctant to do as mostly they pass away during the anaesthetic.

Last night, almost all well, wandering, scratching, interested and alert.

This morning, back down again, head, tail and not responding. I cant get back at lunch today, so dreading going home tonight - the worry is getting to me.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

here she is, looking and acting normal (sunbathing)

taking her meds

pecking seeds

standing still, nor feeling very well
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

She looks alright in those pictures, even the last one, apart from obviously a bit of a runny bum by the looks of things. How is she today?

I wonder whether she has a tumour or something in her tubes.

Honestly, it is of course your decision about what to do - if she's having some quality of life it's hard. I think if I was in your shoes I'd leave her be and wait for nature to take its course, but we all do things differently and none of us are right or wrong. You know her best so you will make the best decision for her and you. )t'

Try not to stress too much (easy I know) and enjoy the time you have with her. You really never know with chickens when their time will come. {hug}
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Come on Marilyn girlie >fi< I love how you give her her medicine )t' I am getting covered in scratches from Sally Ped! What a beautiful girl she is {hug}

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Here she is last night - she is fighting this like a little trouper.